2007 corolla 44 mpg 5-speed - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-19-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

2007 corolla 44 mpg 5-speed

OK well the best way to save gas is to drive slower, however as of late i have seemed to max out my gas mileage (I CANT DRIVE ANY SLOWER, im not an *** either ;( ).. i cant really do anything else to better my records of 39.5 city and 44mpg US hwy.... i have created additional ground to frame, and disabled daytime running lamps and never go over 2500k rpm...

my question is can anyone reccomend plug wires (bosch type) or even a better spark plug that works with a 2007 corolla? or is that not a good idea seeing as though these cars come with iridium type...

thanks

digitalness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Registered Member

just to rephrase, not just any plugs or wires but some that would be specifically used to improve mileage.... also any other suggestions on better FE would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-19-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

That mileage seems pretty good to me. What is your average speed?

regards
gary
Old 05-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
Registered Member

average speed probably about 45 stop/go to get that 39, about 60mph hwy to hit 44-45, yea im happy with it too however, its become somewhat of a hobby to get even better gas mileage, just recently switched from 5w30 to mobil one synthetic 0w 30, yet to record a difference actually just did it yesterday... wonder if that will make a difference.... seing since the 5w 30 was also mobil synthetic
Old 05-19-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Plugs and wires replaced early are never going to pay for themselves in FE. Expensive oil won't pay for itself in FE, but it will in longer service intervals if you use it that way.

Have you increased the pressure in your tires, tried Pulse & Glide, put together a Warm Air Intake, blocked your grill, done any aero mods, etc?

2500rpm is an awful lot. I don't know how torquey the Corolla's engine is, but my VW's 2.5l is good for shifting at 1300rpm on level ground. Wider throttle + lower RPM == better. Try to keep it under 80%, though; somewhere above there, the computer will stop trying to make power efficiently, and instead will just make as much power as possible.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalness View Post
OK well the best way to save gas is to drive slower, however as of late i have seemed to max out my gas mileage (I CANT DRIVE ANY SLOWER, im not an *** either ;( ).. i cant really do anything else to better my records of 39.5 city and 44mpg US hwy.... i have created additional ground to frame, and disabled daytime running lamps and never go over 2500k rpm...

my question is can anyone reccomend plug wires (bosch type) or even a better spark plug that works with a 2007 corolla? or is that not a good idea seeing as though these cars come with iridium type...

thanks
try Kiker Performance wires (google it, dont' have the link handy), I'm not using it yet but I plan on getting them. currently using Taylor Thunder wires been good for me for the past three years. Halo sparkplugs working great for me too (greenplugs.com).
Old 05-31-2008, 08:59 AM   #7
Registered Member

Torque in the Corolla's isn't so good below 2000 RPM, 2500 is just right for normal driving. Try slowing down to 55 MPH on the highway if you feel comfortable enough, otherwise you'll have to all out crazy with hypermiling mods and the such like most everyone here.

And yeah 40 MPG in the city, you're a god to me man that is schweet.

I may be crazy but at least I'm not sane.

Frankenstipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
Supporting Member

I'm still running original wires in my saturn. I check them for resistance when I change the plugs. 1000-1500 ohms per foot is fine. I find that OEM GM wires sometimes last well over 10 years 200k miles. Its unlikely gimmicky plugs or wires will do anything for FE.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #9
Registered Member

Nissan factory wires were date coded. We replaced the engine and fuel injectors on one that was 17 years old and found it had the original plug wires. Advised the owner to replace them but could not tell any difference in performance.

regards
gary
Old 06-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstipe View Post
Torque in the Corolla's isn't so good below 2000 RPM, 2500 is just right for normal driving. Try slowing down to 55 MPH on the highway if you feel comfortable enough, otherwise you'll have to all out crazy with hypermiling mods and the such like most everyone here.

And yeah 40 MPG in the city, you're a god to me man that is schweet.
has toyota changed that much in 7 years? i shift near 2k (except 1st to 2nd where 2500 is needed) in my 2000 prizm(toyota motor/tranny).

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote