2010 XLE V6 Camry 12-16 MPG issue - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #21

oh one more question. I have 16 slashes on my gas tank and 18.5 gallon tank. Now I understand there is a few gallons extra so you don't run out of gas but does each slash represent a gallon on the fuel meter? Just want to be 100% sure about this.

cabbit75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:53 AM   #22

> ... but does each slash represent a gallon on the fuel meter? ...

In most cars ... No. The dial is usually nonlinear because of the way the float & arm are designed. I don't know about the camry specifically.

MMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #23

Yea at first I was wondering if it was 1.16 gallons per slash but then I remembered the dealer saying there was a couple of gallons past the Empty slash so makes sense probably 1.5-2 below and .5-1 gallon above or something like that. Should of gotten a 4 Cylinder think it was best for my driving area since stop and go is a natural habit of Philly drivers.

I've lived in NYC, CALI, and worked in NJ and never had accident issues until I moved back to Philly. Both on the Roosevelt Blvd. First my 95 Camry was rear ended at a red light after seeing another accident on my left lane. Kid hit me going 45 mph went through 2 red lights and hit me in the rear, had my mechanic replace the whole trunk caved in.

Then this crazy Old Lady hits me on the BLVD on her right passenger side corner front bumper from my gas cap to my front wheel which done my car in (almost pushed me into oncoming traffic local lane).

Oh not to mention a sports utility backing up into me in a parking lot punctured a whole in my front bumper when I was blasting my horn, said his wife was yelling at him, this was on Black Friday in front of a Circuit City. 17 years of driving and no fault accidents of mine.
cabbit75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #24
Registered Member

I lived in America for 2.5 months and they are terrible drivers to be honest!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #25

Don't depend on the fuel gage for more than a general idea of how much you have in the tank, until you start gettting complete fill ups. After several of those you should have a handle on how many gallons at different points on the gage, but it will never be exact. Reset your trip meter at every fill up to and use it also as a gage of how far you you can go on a tank.
dtwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #26

Well right now my dash is saying 13-14 mpg while my Ultragauge is saying 14.5. I have about 87 miles on trip from 8.547 gallons on last fill up from Shell 87 REG octane @$3.499. It says I might have 60 miles left but I have 3 slash or quarter tank atm. I'm thinking I'm going to get around 127 miles on this trip. Maybe 130-140 miles on this 8.574 gallons of gas which seems around 15-16 mpg. We'll see soon too bad I can't post all the pictures of my tank and the pump up on my account on fuelly.com.
rabbit75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:52 AM   #27

Like we've all said here, without complete fill ups the accuracy of your calculations is going to be skewed, especially in the short term. And when you fill it, be consistent in how you fill it. I use the first click off of the pump handle. No more goes in after that. I'm so anal, I try to use the same pump at the same station if filling locally. While fuelly will let you enter partial fill ups, from my experience keeping track of MPG over 20 years now without this webiste, complete fill ups are always best.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #28

And are you cabbit75 or rabbit 75 or what?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #29

> And are you cabbit75 or rabbit 75 or what?

And why are his 'miles per tank' different from one account to the other...
MMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #30

Well follow me on this. Because my first account cabbit75 that was set up as Odometer readings seems to be not calculating correctly. For example the 95 trip miles fuel up via iPHONE app gas tracker entered 8.574 gallons with my 95 mile trip reading and pushed out 11.1 mpg which wasn't correct. So I made another account as trip miles and aligned each fuel up with manually corresponding with the amount of gas used. But now my rabbit75 account is showing 18.9 mpg avg with 16.7, 16.6,12.3, 11.1 MPG but only shows the correct 14.2 MPG on all time MPG below it. So seems I'm waiting on fuelly.com to get back to me and fix either accounts and then I'll drop one. If you look carefully the miles are the same just raised to the corresponding amount of gas to mileage traveled to post up the correct mileage/fuel up. As for the first reading from 3/6 I found a picture of my gas tank meter and trip miles and calculating it up to a half a tank from little above empty reading from the last gas station it came out to be 4.96 gallons rather than 2.46. Wrote it in the notes there was prior fuel-ups done. Once I get the email responses from fuelly.com and they fix hopefully my original account I'll drop the other one. I didn't select any sharing options not sure why it's displaying the rabbit75. Wanted to test out trip miles over Odometer entries since everyone seems to be so fixed on trip mile tracking.

rabbit75 is offline   Reply With Quote