2010 XLE V6 Camry 12-16 MPG issue - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #61

Oh forgot to mention I think the 2 TC from the pending CEL tracker in the Ultra gauge cleared after my ECU reset on the 2nd fuel injection cleaning. That's interesting I know what your trying to say BDC but wow what was the point of putting such a unstable laggy Tank Average meter if it fluctuates so inaccurately like this. Yet things like Ultra Gauge seem a lot more stable in design. Well back to the full tank tracking might fix some things but since I ran through the first tank and some forums posted half to empty would be the same as full to half tracking I'll try out the full tank MPG tracking method.

I read on some other forums under RAV4 that - "Your typical "fuel injector cleaning" is nothing but running some fluid through the fuel system (or manifold) and is a super-money maker for mechanics and dealerships.

A proper cleaning involves removing them, putting them in an ultrasonic vat, and then flow testing them. It's not expensive, but it is time consuming."

Also read on this forum - "Fuel injectors can be quite blocked giving very poor combustion and not give a CEL and the gas mileage / fuel economy can be terrible because of this. Clean air filter, Toyota say 27,000 miles between changes

Fuel pressure? If the regulator is failing then lower fuel pressure gives poorer atomisation = poor fuel economy.

This is the same outcome as blocked injectors or a blocked fuel filter."

Does any of these 2 suggestions sound right to you guys?

rabbit75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #62

Well got some Shell 93 Super V Octane just to see what I would get and on I-95 going 60-65 mph it hit 21 mpg. Had 18 mpg on city but I think by tomorrow it will drop down to 14-15 mpg.

Missed out on a 2011 Camry XLE 3.5L V6 yesterday with 14,800 miles on it for $21,490.00. So disappointed was willing to trade this gas guzzling car if the test drive gave me mid 20+ to mid 20s mpg. I think my only solution is to just trade this car in cause its bothering me. Wish the I4 XLE had push to start and proximity key entry with navigation/back up camera. Yet to see one of those pop up. But I hear bad things about 4 cylinders either taking 1 liter of oil per month or being loud and whiney compared to a V6 engine. Even heard transmission problems on them. But my driving habits is low mileage seems I should of stuck with 4 Cylinder. Just my friends were talking how great start button and proximity key entry will make me not want to go back to keys. Their right its so nice not have to reach in your pocket in the rain to open the door.

Considering I feel like I'm babying way too much on this car (pushing down less than a few cm. of tapping or feathering the accelerator to glide/coast I feel like someone is going to hit my rear or knock off my side mirror from squeezing 14-16 mpg rather than drop to 11-13 mpg. Keeping it around 1500-2000 rpms tops.)

I should of known you get what you pay for on this. I paid for a truck/SUV/Van mpg is the verdict here. Seems its going to take a few trade-ins to get a car that works.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #63

Your urban driving isn't helping things either. You will always get poorer MPG under those conditions.

I don't believe I'd buy a 6 cylinder car ever again. 4 is more than adequate. But for a a few month's last year I had a 1999 Avalon (it was dad's, he'd quit driving and I was caring for him) which is a heavier car than the Camry, with a V6 in it. The best I every got out of it was 27 MPG, but the lowest was like 22. It was an older car though.

I hate that you got a lemon. I feared that my Accord was going to be a problem, but once I replaced the catalytic converter it has improved. ANd my highway mileage is great for a car this size. But I was on the verge of trading it in the first month. But I kept working with it.

Go 4 banger.
dtwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #64

I've never seen HWY yet to give me anything above 21 mpg going 55-65 mph on I-95. That's a bit troublesome and not on a miscalculation.

I lost 2 slashes of gas which is 50% of my 4 slashes from empty unless the pump is lying to me I got 30.9 miles on it atm with 2 slashes left from 93 octane from 4 gallons. That's pretty extreme when it was 70-75% miles on I-95. It just shows in drop rate I'm getting 14-15 mpg. I'm currently showing 19-18.5 mpg but not from the trip miles tracking. I pretty sure by tomorrow it will be 16 mpg soon and by the time I run out of gas I'll have about 60 miles from 4 gallons.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #65

Ok I been reading things about winter blend gas can cause 5-6 mpg drops. According to a Toyota Dealership Service Manager he said end of April to mid May sometimes for gas stations to switch in Philadelphia. I hope this is what is causing my MPG issue because I almost traded my 2010 XLE V6 Camry for a 2011 XLE Camry V6 and almost put my self out of 1.9% interest APR to 3.64% APR from 60 month to 72 month over this MPG issue. Given the car had 14,733 OM miles and mine had 25,584 but I would of paid $28,064 for the car instead of $22,755. Cross your fingers everyone. I have been getting 17-18 mpg lately off Sunoco REG 87. But haven't seen high 20s on hwy yet. But its a huge improvement on city mpg of 12-15 mpg.

FORUM POST I FOUND

We know that gas prices go up during the summer, generally around Memorial Day, but when do companies start producing these different summer fuels? The EPA defines April to June as the "transition season" for fuel production [Source: EPA]. Refineries switch over to summer-blend production in March and April [Source: EPA]. Gas stations have by June 1 to switch to selling summer-grade gas, while terminals and other facilities "upstream" from pumping stations have to switch by May 1 [Source: EPA]. Following the summer driving season, companies switch back to winter blends beginning in September, with the first winter increase in RVP allowance occurring on Sep. 15.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #66

Oh and the 2011 Camry XLE with 14,733 miles had 13.2 MPG on the Tank Average. Which they have a 2 mile test drive city drive arrangement. I hope it's the winter blend causing my issues because I would like to move on and get that Engine Starter modification by Toyota for my car and that spoiler and some rain guards from Japan and body side moldings.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #67

Well this review seems pretty honest about MPG on 2010 XLE V6.

http://www.consumerguide.com/toyota/camry/used/

Consumer Guide® Road-Test Evaluation

Four-cylinder Camrys furnish adequate go-power with either transmission. A test LE automatic accelerated to 60 mph in 10.1 seconds. However, they feel taxed with automatic when attempting quick acceleration in the 35-55 mph range. V6 versions are impressively strong in all situations. A test XLE V6 reached 60 mph in a brisk 6.2 seconds. The V6's six-speed automatic transmission is sometimes hesitant to kick down for passing power. Hybrids are sleepy on takeoff, but build speed quickly. A test Hybrid accelerated to 60 mph in 8.3 seconds--markedly quicker than a regular four-cylinder model. Still, throttle response at low and midrange speeds lags as the CVT summons engine power. Fuel economy scores high with the Hybrid; less so with V6 engines. SE V6 sedans have averaged 22.0 to 22.5 mpg in testing with a slight majority of highway driving. XLE V6s averaged 17.9 mpg in mixed city/highway driving that included gas-eating acceleration tests. Four-cylinder models averaged 26.2 mpg in mostly highway driving, 19.0 mpg in testing that also included acceleration runs. Test Hybrids averaged 28.6 to 31.2 mpg in city/highway driving, 35.0 mpg with more highway use. All engines use regular-grade gasoline. Ride comfort is generally satisfying. All models are comfortably absorbent, even on severely cratered roads.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #68

Well then you aren't getting such awful mileage as it seemed. If that test of the 4 cylinders is accurate for the 2007 models too then I'm glad I bought a Honda instead. I got that kind of mileage out of a 1999 Avalon with a V6.

Have you compared your car to others just like your on fuelly here? I think that's a better barometer.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #69

I will say this. I went to the same webiste and looked up my Honda and while I can see how their numbers are right of my model and year, I am doing better than their tests. The reason is how I drive not what I drive.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #70

Lately I been getting 17.2-18 mpg city from Sunoco Reg 87. Previously after putting in SHELL V 93 SUPER I saw 22.5 mpg on the HWY and city line ave driving going to the dealership to test drive a 2011 XLE V6 Camry. This car had 13.2 tank average which started to make me think not many test drives were done to the car since it came out a week and the 2nd person they mention was interested never came because they called me up to sell me the car desperately. But I would lose like $10,000 and end up paying $28,000 if I were to trade in and do a higher interest rate. So i'm hopeing the gas quality will show itself soon for summer. I guess I could always trade-in later but this article I read seem to be closer to what I was getting anyways on MPG. I never seen above 22 mpg but yet again I don't have a need to go on a road trip above 50 miles so far. Once I get a chance I will do the full tank tracking and see how it goes.

No engine lights and 2 fuel injections should of done something immediately to MPG but it seems the closer we get to May the better the gas mileage is changing from fuel ups. I did HWY driving and reseted the ECU immediately to see if fuel injection cleaning would do anything which resulted in same MPG depletion over 1-2 days to 14-15 mpg.