93 Honda Civic VX horrible fuel economy - Page 16 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #151
Registered Member

Re: 93 Honda Civic VX horrible fuel economy

Hey, benfrogg, does your MPGUINO have the GPH feature? If so, have you observed it and if so, what is it depending on air temperature? I was curious if your GPH level was significantly lower than what I currently see with my civic or if just slightly less. Other reason to figure out your GPH is to see if your GPH fluctuates because from what I've seen, if it's not steady, there might be something up that could be causing it to fluctuate and that what ever it is should be addressed... Thanks to the crack in my manifold, my idle isn't dead steady and the GPH according to the scangauge fluctuates from .18gph to .22gph.

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #152
Registered Member

It does have GPH, I'll record some readings tonight on my way to the gig. (after warm idle is established)
B

benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #153
Registered Member

The gauge reads a stead .11 GPH at idle after a long drive. It takes a second to get there, starting at .15 and then settles at .11. It seems very stable there, not oscillating at all.
The idle is set intentionally low. It reads at the zero line when idling with no accessories on. At that low of an idle, it has the slightest up/down about it; apparently not enough to change the GPH though.
What are your GPH at idle?
B
Old 06-25-2011, 12:54 AM   #154
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
Thanks to the crack in my manifold, my idle isn't dead steady and the GPH according to the scangauge fluctuates from .18gph to .22gph.
For the 2.5L Volvo S60 I drive, I find the GPH to be .24-.30 with it occasionally going to .22gph with no accessories or electronics on.. I do find the engine likes to stumble a bit and that's when I'll see the GPH go up and then slowly go back down again. (I think the flame trap/PCV system is clogged) As for the FJ Cruiser/V6 Toyota Tundra, their warmed up idle GPH is around .4, sometimes dipping to .38.

If you set your idle to the factory spec idle, what is the GPH at? Mine is at factory idle spec but because of the leaky manifold, especially after a long drive (hot manifold) I'll find the idle speed jump from 670 to 750rpm for a short duration and then go back down again. It used to idle at 750rpm for much longer before I added a separate ground directly to the body of the o2 sensor.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #155
Registered Member

Wow waht highway are you driving 55 mph on here in california I would get a ticket for that .....I have a 92 VX and get around 44 mpg going average of 70 mph and that being said its about 80/20 highway to city
HIGHGROOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #156
Registered Member

In Maine, the legal limit for low speed on the highway is 45 mph. I rarely go below that number on the highway for legal reasons. Is the legal low speed limit in California 60 mph or something? Have you ever known anybody who has been ticketed for this?
Good info.
B
Old 09-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #157
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfrogg View Post
In Maine, the legal limit for low speed on the highway is 45 mph. I rarely go below that number on the highway for legal reasons. Is the legal low speed limit in California 60 mph or something? Have you ever known anybody who has been ticketed for this?
Good info.
B

You know thats a good question illl have to get back to you on that one.....my main issue now is passing smog my NO is too high and throwing a ECL 12 the dreaded egr so ive cleaned that out and the ports even thought i didnt take the manifold out, the holes were allready pre drilled.... my next step is changing the hoses that go to the egr and what not.
HIGHGROOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #158
Registered Member

Ben, aside from the factory ground wires and assuming I can't/won't go to the extent your YouTube video shows additional grounds: Which added grounds do you believe are most important? I was curious about grounding the exhaust manifold on my vehicle and wondered if I could just wire it over to where the stock smaller engine ground is and move that one aside to near the upper engine mount like in your vid.

Thanks.

PS: Also, curious as to what brand of fuel filter you used in replacing the old one? Thanks.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #159
Registered Member

195 thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfrogg View Post
The right thermostat is 195, me thinks. Either way hotter is better for FE.
The thermostat did help, although maybe only a few mpg's. (no, I did not ABA test) I wouldn't hesitate with the price of em'!
Benfrogg, where did you find the 195 thermostat?
johnlvs2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:52 AM   #160
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Looks like Rockauto has a variety:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=2200
(Unless I chose the wrong engine/car/etc)