Bring Back the Cycle Car - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2011, 09:57 PM   #11

Re: Bring Back the Cycle Car

Yeah. I don't much care for any three wheel vehicle that puts its center of gravity above the single wheel axle. Low and in the center as close to the two wheel axle as possible.

Even the 4 wheel ones I have gotten to come up off one or two wheels at a time, though, I am not sure what conditions it would take to flip one.

To supplement my income since I am hiding from the economy in school right now, I worked part time for the grounds crew for a little while. They had a couple Haulsters, and I have driven a truckster a few times back when I was a more blue collar kinda guy. I'm glad I can supplement income through teaching now.... cause I really don't miss those things.

madnessspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #12
Registered Member

Scott, I'm with you completely. I think it would definitely be doable and not have to burst in to flames if made here, it shouldn't be much more than a motorcycle. The Smarts are fine as a starting point but I feel they're too tall and cost WAAAY too much for no reason.

I think we could use a middle ground, instead of having it be a motorcycle with no regulations, like how the Japanese have kei cars, they're all super light and 550-650cc turbo charged usually.

My absolute favorite is the Autozam AZ-1, I look on ebay very now and then hoping one is imported. I think they look amazing and would be a lot of fun.
I had read a good article about someone buying an imported Honda Beat off ebay, I only recall him getting like 34MPG, but he typically had the top down. Can't seem to find the article right now.

I did just find that its coming back though: link
But its kind of depressing, its all based on the CRZ and looks more like a smaller S2000 and a dual clutch transmission is nice but I'd prefer a 600-1000cc turbo charged diesel with a properly tuned CVT. I think CVT is the more efficient and reliable option over all these dual clutch systems.

Either way, the cars DID exist and didn't have to look like expensive boxes, I think the big issue is American mentality (why spend all the engineering and time if no one will buy, and if we do we'll need a high price tag since not enough will buy) and the fact the only American motorcycle is Harley. If we had a manufacturer like Honda that has both assets available it could really build something. I'm honestly surprised that Ford hasn't done something, as Euro as they are, they could easily find the staffing and have two great markets (Euro and US) if they delved into motorcycles.

itjstagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #13
Registered Member

Hardley Abelson isn't the only American bike maker.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIND View Post
Yeah. I don't much care for any three wheel vehicle that puts its center of gravity above the single wheel axle. Low and in the center as close to the two wheel axle as possible.

Even the 4 wheel ones I have gotten to come up off one or two wheels at a time, though, I am not sure what conditions it would take to flip one.

To supplement my income since I am hiding from the economy in school right now, I worked part time for the grounds crew for a little while. They had a couple Haulsters, and I have driven a truckster a few times back when I was a more blue collar kinda guy. I'm glad I can supplement income through teaching now.... cause I really don't miss those things.
haha noone ever does, they do do thier purpose decently well i suppose but guh haha

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote