City vs. Highway Routes - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-12-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

City vs. Highway Routes

I just read kickflipjr's signature and he's completely right. A little over a week ago I measured my most common city/highway routes using Google Earth.

I was rather surprised to find that my city routes to the same destinations were anywhere from 2 to 4 km shorter than the highway paths (even though they take the same or slightly longer travel time).

Plus I use less fuel in the city since the Metro's little 3-cylinder isn't pumping as hard to keep up to the 110 km/h highway traffic. Coasting and key-off techniques are just money in the bank then.

Old 05-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
*shrug*

This will be one of the

This will be one of the things I test soon, however, there is now only one route to work, I guess I have a friend I visit once in a blue moon though,

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yes I've change my commute

Yes I've change my commute because of the scan gauge and its instant feedback. I found I have 3 options depending on time of day. I was driving what I though was the best route because of light traffic and higher speeds but it was using more fuel. Between google earth and the scan gauge you can really look at a lot of options if there is more than one way to go to work. The fastest and flatest does not alway use the least fuel( at least for casper).
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:31 PM   #4
Registered Member

I really need a scangauge to

I really need a scangauge to see what driving route uses less gas. Total gallons used is more important (but is not as sexy as a high mpg number :P).

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:35 PM   #5
Registered Member

for me freeway is

for me freeway is better.

I'd rather have more miles than low miles and poor fuel economy.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:19 AM   #6
Registered Member

nah man if city is played

nah man if city is played right, you can beat your highway epa rating with ease. Its just your time will be required as well as your technique.

on the highway engine load is as high as 50% that's how much of a ***** areodynamic drag is.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:44 AM   #7
Registered Member

Re: nah man if city is played

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmcneal
nah man if city is played right, you can beat your highway epa rating with ease. Its just your time will be required as well as your technique.

on the highway engine load is as high as 50% that's how much of a ***** areodynamic drag is.
hate to break the bad news but on a freeway I can acheive double my street mpg if I wanted. I overcomed drag by installing a belly pan and kept changing the design till it worked just right. I changed the belly's design 3 times now. I also have the undertrays in the front of the car. So far I'm getting around 40mpg on the freeway at 65mph. Next time I will get taller tires and will bump that number up 1-2mpg.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote