Crazy prices to get great mpg. - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-17-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
 
Fr3AkAzOiD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 27
Country: United States
Crazy prices to get great mpg.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Geo-M...3286.m14.l1318

$4,500+ for a 14 year old Metro XFI with 133,000 miles on it.
I understand it's a pretty bulletproof car that can run forever and that gas prices are on the rise but isn't that price a little crazy?
Especialy when the car was only like $6,500 - $7,500 when it was selling new.

I guess I could see $2,500 since with an engine rebuild all you would have to worry about is rust but this just shows how despertly people want high mpg cars, and it's only going to get worse as more and more people ditch there SUVs.
__________________

__________________


Fr3AkAzOiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_JoeBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 698
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr3AkAzOiD View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Geo-M...3286.m14.l1318

$4,500+ for a 14 year old Metro XFI with 133,000 miles on it.
I understand it's a pretty bulletproof car that can run forever and that gas prices are on the rise but isn't that price a little crazy?
Especialy when the car was only like $6,500 - $7,500 when it was selling new.

I guess I could see $2,500 since with an engine rebuild all you would have to worry about is rust but this just shows how despertly people want high mpg cars, and it's only going to get worse as more and more people ditch there SUVs.
All it takes on eBay is for at least two people to think something is worth that much for it to be so. People will pay if it is something they want. Even if you or I don't think it is worth that much.

Guess I got a pretty good deal buying my Metro for $200...of course, mine is no where near as pretty...
__________________

__________________
"We are forces of chaos and anarchy. Everything they say we are we are, and we are very proud of ourselves!" -- Jefferson Airplane

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.



GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:23 AM   #3
Site Team / Moderator
 
Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,657
Country: United States
Location: Northern Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
All it takes on eBay is for at least two people to think something is worth that much for it to be so. People will pay if it is something they want. Even if you or I don't think it is worth that much.

Guess I got a pretty good deal buying my Metro for $200...of course, mine is no where near as pretty...
It closed for $5,335. IMHO that is way too much, especially since the car does not even have a/c. Maybe a Metro with everything on it, 40,000 original miles, and garage kept might be worth that much, but not that one.

-Jay
__________________






Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
 
1993CivicVX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,066
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
After reading the description I don't think it is too much. Seems quite reasonable.
__________________
three stripes the charm!

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.



Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
 
theholycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,624
Country: United States
Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Heh...this sort of thing has caused me to consider selling my VW out of its lease. If I can do it without paying sales tax (only the buyer would pay) I think I could turn a profit and buy a hypermile sleeper -- specifically, the 1996/newer Camaro V6 manual that I wanted when I got the VW. Supply of that car was very low at the time but seems to be up now...
__________________
This sig may return, some day.
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 12
Country: United States
Try buying a Civic GX 25,000
CNG is cheap and CNG cars are going for a premium
__________________
Lowest gas prices Save gas
lowestgasprices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_JoeBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 698
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
It closed for $5,335. IMHO that is way too much, especially since the car does not even have a/c. Maybe a Metro with everything on it, 40,000 original miles, and garage kept might be worth that much, but not that one.

-Jay
I don't think it's worth that much either....but...obviously somebody thinks it is. Then again, I don't think gasoline is worth more than 29.9 cents a gallon, either. Depends on how badly someone wants something.

Side note...saw an XFI just like the eBay one in my local junkyard today. Of course, the camshaft is gone already...just wish I could have found it before the junkyard got it...

Oh well, if wishes were Harleys, bums would ride....
__________________
"We are forces of chaos and anarchy. Everything they say we are we are, and we are very proud of ourselves!" -- Jefferson Airplane

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.



GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
 
imzjustplayin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 720
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Heh...this sort of thing has caused me to consider selling my VW out of its lease. If I can do it without paying sales tax (only the buyer would pay) I think I could turn a profit and buy a hypermile sleeper -- specifically, the 1996/newer Camaro V6 manual that I wanted when I got the VW. Supply of that car was very low at the time but seems to be up now...
A camaro is a sleeper....how? It isn't a sleeper in terms of performance or in terms of fuel efficiency.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:58 AM   #9
Registered Member
 
theholycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,624
Country: United States
Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
A camaro is a sleeper....how? It isn't a sleeper in terms of performance or in terms of fuel efficiency.
Check the Hypermile Sleepers thread (there's a link in my sig). Nearly anything with GM's 3.8 is a FE sleeper, getting far better economy than most expect. A 1996 Camaro V6 is EPA rated (new EPA ratings, the original sticker showed higher ratings) 18/28, and I can assure you I would get 33mpg using the same techniques that normally get 36mpg from my little 2008 VW (EPA rated 22/28).

Anyway, I'm not going to do it. I checked all the numbers and I don't think it would work. Blue book value for a 2007 is $150 less than what it would cost to buy out my lease on my 2008 (no blue book info for the 2008); I suspect that book value for my 2008 is more than my lease buyout. However, I'd have to pay 7% sales tax even if I don't register it after buying it, and I suspect that would eat up all the profit. Meanwhile, insurance on the V6 Camaro would only be $12/month cheaper.
__________________
This sig may return, some day.
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:15 AM   #10
Site Team / Moderator
 
Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,657
Country: United States
Location: Northern Virginia
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Check the Hypermile Sleepers thread (there's a link in my sig). Nearly anything with GM's 3.8 is a FE sleeper, getting far better economy than most expect. A 1996 Camaro V6 is EPA rated (new EPA ratings, the original sticker showed higher ratings) 18/28, and I can assure you I would get 33mpg using the same techniques that normally get 36mpg from my little 2008 VW (EPA rated 22/28).

Anyway, I'm not going to do it. I checked all the numbers and I don't think it would work. Blue book value for a 2007 is $150 less than what it would cost to buy out my lease on my 2008 (no blue book info for the 2008); I suspect that book value for my 2008 is more than my lease buyout. However, I'd have to pay 7% sales tax even if I don't register it after buying it, and I suspect that would eat up all the profit. Meanwhile, insurance on the V6 Camaro would only be $12/month cheaper.
Except the 1981 Regal.... The year my Buick was made the optional 4.9 L Pontiac V8 got better mileage than the standard 3.8 L Buick V6 with a 2bbl carb. My old 9 passenger 1980 Pontiac Bonneville Safari wagon regularly got 16 MPG with a 301 (4.9L) and a 4bbl carb. With the stock setup (before I installed the metric 400 tranny w/ OD) my 81 Regal with the 231 (3.8 L) V6 got 13-14 MPG. The Regal was also about 1,000 pounds less than the Bonneville. The 301's in the Regals would regularly do about 18 - 20 if not driven hard.

-Jay
__________________

__________________






Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuelly API, Remote Update hufman Fuelly Web Support and Community News 6 11-26-2017 11:28 AM
Not very precise mpg calculation larjerr Fuelly Web Support and Community News 4 08-20-2012 02:03 AM
Keeping my distance in traffic khurt General Fuel Topics 8 09-07-2008 04:23 AM
How do u guys calculate miles per gallon? GasSavers_fuelmiser General Fuel Topics 29 07-02-2007 06:43 AM
Electrical power and cars. DracoFelis Automotive News, Articles and Products 2 09-16-2006 02:31 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.