Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2007, 02:23 PM   #31
Registered Member

Snow and ABS/ESP

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
"Yeah, sir.... we're going to REQUIRE that you take that extra insurance now"
I'm half-tempted to yell out, "This thing got a HEMI???" (...especially on the Taurus)

Quote:
I've heard that it's not so great in snow/ice conditions.... I would think it would be even better to make sure the wheels with the most traction get braking power.... iono, can you explain? I've lived in S. Florida and have never needed to drive in snow/ice

But in my owner's manual -- it does say ABS will make your stopping distance longer on gravel. Because a gravel "dam" never forms in front of your wheels.
The gravel and snow/ice is probably similar -- I haven't noticed better stopping in snow/ice, but a better ability to steer and brake. With stability control (on both surfaces), of course the ABS is required to make the corrections, and works well. Except when you're sliding completely sideways in a corner and you're trying to power out of it -- and the throttle's cut

RH77

Old 04-20-2007, 04:01 PM   #32
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
Except when you're sliding completely sideways in a corner and you're trying to power out of it
RH77
Now that is a technique that I like. Too bad it does not save fuel. I do practice this in my head as I coast through the corners moving at a walking pace, not the same. Waiting for the "off season".

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:26 AM   #33
Registered Member

Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeUU View Post
Now that is a technique that I like. Too bad it does not save fuel. I do practice this in my head as I coast through the corners moving at a walking pace, not the same. Waiting for the "off season".
This was at a Pro-Rally earlier this year-- muddy and slick. The rental Jeep Liberty ended up sideways in a corner (somewhow ... ) -- problem is TREE!!! Foot to the floor with nothing. I think the Blues Brothers would had put it best: Our lady of Blessed Acceleration, Don't Fail us Now! It luckily sorted itself out and gave enough limited power to correct it.

I know, not a vehicle to be driving in such a manner -- but an opportunity to have a closed road and be vehicle to follow the last Rally car (as the Medic) can't be missed -- and the ESP was needed for the margin of safety for the other 99% of the time End result = Lessons learned.

RH77