E10 and MPG - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-23-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4
Country: United States
E10 and MPG

What is your experiance?

Stock 87 CRX 38+ w/reg---33 w/E10, more than 10% loss.

In testing E10 I find 3.5%-15% ethanol, about impossible to do ANYTHING with fuel adds or tuning on a regular basis.

The only save is a few 100% gas stations here, that will change I'm sure.

I am in Boise, Id. They just brought on a E plant, all my cars do worse on E.

And its no cheaper. And I use more gas+E. SNAFU

How is this 'GREEN'?
__________________

Blkzr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
Site Team / Moderator
 
Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,657
Country: United States
Location: Northern Virginia
Ethanol does not have the same amount of BTU's per unit of volume as gasoline. Ethanol will therefore reduce the MPG of a vehicle. Ethanol is used primarily for 2 purposes. It is an effective way of "watering down" the gasoline, and it is used as an oxygenating agent. It helps reduce the unburned HC level in the exhaust.

-Jay
__________________

__________________






Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 256
Country: United States
10% ethanol is in our gas here also, and I have noticed the same reduction in fuel econony as you are experiencing. I have not found a place around here anyway, that does not have the ethanol in the gas.

As for it being "green", I do not believe it really is. From what I understand, it takes more energy to manufacture it than it puts out. So although we would cut our fossell fuel consumption in using it, we get worse gas mileage, and that does not take into account the fossell fuel used in the manufacturing process of the ethanol.

This is just my opinion from my understanding of ethanol production and usage..
__________________
Dave
GasSavers_GasUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
Site Team / Moderator
 
Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,657
Country: United States
Location: Northern Virginia
I was just thinking... as I am getting ready for a road trip possibly within the next 2 months. Is there a website with an "Ethanol map" per se that one could look at and know what exits on the highway would have regular gasoline available. If possible I would like to stop for gas only in areas where 100% gasoline was available to boost my mileage as much as possible.

-Jay
__________________






Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
 
bowtieguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,873
Country: United States
Location: orlando, florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkzr1 View Post
How is this 'GREEN'?
IT AIN'T!!!

the tree huggers would have you believe because it produces less emissions, it promotes less global warming.

some think the oil companies are evil. i say the green movement is, and GW is the biggest crock since...maybe ever.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #6
Site Team / Moderator
 
Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,657
Country: United States
Location: Northern Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
IT AIN'T!!!

the tree huggers would have you believe because it produces less emissions, it promotes less global warming.

some think the oil companies are evil. i say the green movement is, and GW is the biggest crock since...maybe ever.
And R12 Freon does not cause holes in the ozone layer because R12 is heavier than air! It can't get to the ozone layer. The "greenies", "tree huggers" & such usually climb up on their soapbox and scream until congress does something to shut them up, but they rarely look at all the facts first. The only thing that banning R-12 has done is make air conditioners much more expensive to work on.

I proudly use R-12 in both the Big White Hooptie and Rusty. They were leak sealed years ago and charged up. Haven't had any problems since.

-Jay
__________________






Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
 
bowtieguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,873
Country: United States
Location: orlando, florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
The "greenies", "tree huggers" & such usually climb up on their soapbox...
i wish they'd climb up a tree house and live (stay) w/ the other nuts!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_bobski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 463
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
the tree huggers would have you believe because it produces less emissions, it promotes less global warming.
As Jay said above, it reduces unburned HC emissions. As I understand it, excess hydrocarbons form particulates in the exhaust. Those particulates, when struck by sunlight, catalyze the production of ground-level ozone. Ever step outside on a hot summer day and notice that kind of electrical smell in the air? That's ozone. When the concentrations get high enough, it makes your eyes and throat burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
The only thing that banning R-12 has done is make air conditioners much more expensive to work on.
While R-12 may sink in an open air environment, can you say for sure that compounds released as it breaks down are also heavier than air?
Take a look at Duracool as an R-12 substitute. I don't sell it, I've just used it with good results.
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:25 PM   #9
Site Team / Moderator
 
Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,657
Country: United States
Location: Northern Virginia
I don't need an R-12 substitute. Right when R-12 was being banned I had worked for an a/c company. I took apart every joint in the freon lines, replaced all the O rings, and then applied a sealant before putting the lines back togeather. I haven't put Freon in the Buick in over 10 years. I think Rusty would have been fine, but because he sat and didn't turn a wheel for over 3 years is why the freon leaked out of his system Before it was parked Rusty's a/c was untouched for several years. I believe that if an a/c system is regularly used the oil circulated by the Freon helps keep the seals working properly.

-Jay
__________________






Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #10
Site Team / Moderator
 
Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,657
Country: United States
Location: Northern Virginia
Arrow

Well, after some searching I found these 2 maps...





http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petro...lated_map.html

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/steo/pub/special/rfg4.html
__________________

__________________






Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How should I start recording? bennieboy Fuelly Web Support and Community News 1 09-17-2011 11:40 PM
best car for city fe? civic94 General Fuel Topics 3 04-29-2008 02:40 PM
Premium Fuel when "Recommended" rh77 General Fuel Topics 9 03-30-2007 05:28 PM
Do you have/ use cruise control kickflipjr Hypermiling 16 03-22-2006 02:53 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.