Emission - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-19-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 358
Country: United States
Emission

Okay, so we all know about FE and ways to improve it, but in addition to the emissions reduced through burning less fuel, does anyone here pursue a lower emissions vehicle as well?

So far I have installed the PCV catch can which should keep some oil from being burned, but I don't have any way of doing a before and after emissions-wise. In Florida we don't have smog checks, so only a few places do them and I'm not exactly keep on spending money to find out what the difference is.

Has anyone here installed emissions devices, and if so, what difference does it make?
__________________

repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:25 PM   #2
*shrug*
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,195
Country: United States
I installed an extra cat,

I'm not so sure though. The best anyone could do is get a newer car, or not drive. I don't drive at school, so, yay!
__________________

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:51 PM   #3
Supporting Member
 
Hockey4mnhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 760
Country: United States
i have the same car as you except its a ex. I think my emmisions are pretty bad, it has a real strong smell and i think i might get it checked
__________________
Hockey4mnhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 358
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs
i have the same car as you except its a ex. I think my emmisions are pretty bad, it has a real strong smell and i think i might get it checked
The emissions for our cars aren't terrible, but they aren't great either. My car mods aren't economically motivated but instead are being done in hopes of turning it into a green machine. The car's emissions are already much better than the average, but not good enough.

If you're noticing smells coming out as you're running, you're probably burning some oil. I was burning a little bit of oil until I installed the PCV catch can, and now I haven't been seeing any of the tell-tale blue smoke coming out of my muffler. You might want to give it a try. It's dirt cheap, and easy to install. I really wish that I did a smog check before and after installation so that I could see how much of a difference it makes. I read an article online claiming that on older cars it could improve emissions by up to 50%, but I haven't found any other figures dealing with the emissions.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:09 AM   #5
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 541
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
I installed an extra cat,
Good idea , because my tests prove that mice just cant hack the pace in a motor.

onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:10 AM   #6
Supporting Member
 
cfg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,779
Country: United States
SVOboy -

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
I installed an extra cat,

I'm not so sure though. The best anyone could do is get a newer car, or not drive. I don't drive at school, so, yay!
An extra cat? I am so gullible that I don't know if you are making a joke or not. Call me ignorant, but I would actually like to know if an extra cat could make an older car more emissions compliant. I am guessing that by design, you can only have one cat.

On another note, I do keep another cat in the car, but it's not the same model as the one that came with the car :



CarloSW2
__________________
Old School SW2 EPA ... New School Civic EPA :

What's your EPA MPG? http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:53 AM   #7
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 682
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86
Okay, so we all know about FE and ways to improve it, but in addition to the emissions reduced through burning less fuel, does anyone here pursue a lower emissions vehicle as well?

So far I have installed the PCV catch can which should keep some oil from being burned, but I don't have any way of doing a before and after emissions-wise. In Florida we don't have smog checks, so only a few places do them and I'm not exactly keep on spending money to find out what the difference is.

Has anyone here installed emissions devices, and if so, what difference does it make?
Everything that saves gas, reduces CO2 emissions. I take it that you are referring to the "big three", HC, CO, and NOx emissions, However. In that case, the following is true:

Anything that reduces engine power usage also reduces emissions. Low speed driving, aerodynamic aids, tall gears, weight reduction, WAI (in a closed loop car), electric fans/water pumps, radiator grill blocks and LRR tires all reduce HC, CO and NOx emissions.

"Leaning out" the air fuel mixture lowers fuel consumption, reduces CO and HC emissions, but increases NOx emissions.

Engine block heaters reduce HC and CO emissions on startup, but have little effect on NOx.
__________________

__________________
Capitalism: The cream rises. Socialism: The scum rises.
Sludgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone ever used liquid electric tape? Matt Timion General Discussion (Off-Topic) 4 06-11-2006 07:17 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.