EPA mileage testing, and hot air, well, carbon dioxide. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2006, 06:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

EPA mileage testing, and hot air, well, carbon dioxide.

When the EPA says
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA
How Are the Label Estimates Calculated?

Fuel economy estimates are calculated from the emissions generated during the tests using a carbon balance equation. We know how much carbon is in the fuel, so by precisely measuring the carbon compounds expelled in the exhaust we can calculate the fuel economy.
What do they mean by carbon compounds, and precisely? Can they measure hydrocarbons of different lengths as well as carbon dioxide? Could subpar emissions systems be why certain cars test higher in terms of mpg?

If hydrocarbon emissions aren't burned in the cat as well as they could, then carbon dioxide emissions will read lower than they would compared to a vehicle with a cat that's operating well, and the mileage rating would be higher, even though in practice, the car is just as efficient with, or without, a decent cat. Could large manufacturers take advantage of this to inflate their mileage numbers?
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote