Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
spot - what's wrong with you?

Why bother with all that 2-3lb junk? I'm just gonna roll it as is. I'm probably going to register it Thursday and put it on the streets starting next week. I'm in no rush though. I have a strong connection to my '96 and I'm sad to see it getting pushed aside.

What sucks is I just got a rare optional center console for the '96 SL2 that doesn't fit the '01+ cars. So now that I'm used to having an armrest for my right arm, I'll be without it again in the '01. I could probably swap entire center consoles, but the plastic "desing" was changed at some point and the textures don't match. Also, my aftermarket cd player in the '96 has input for MP3 player and the '01 has the OEM cd player that still works fine, though it has no input for mp3.

I'm debating a few swaps onto the '01 from the '96. One might be the steering wheel, also considering swapping the cruise control over. Though I don't use it, I realize it's valuable for resale. Also, my alloys and touring tires from the '96 might replace the steel wheels and hub caps and all season tires on the '01. Wish I could swap the sunroof!! LOL I might also swap sway bars. SOHC cars don't have a rear bar.
don't forget the 2.5 ounces worth of plastic clips!!

jk
that was just what I did recently tho, thats about 100lbs or more I sucked out of that car. i was bored what can i say.

spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #32
Banned

the consensus as far as I could tell at saturn fans.com is thats saturns burn oil because they don't have proper oil drainage holes drilled in the piston, and not because of bad rings, every saturns I've ever owned burns oils the only thing that stopped it was pennzoil..

also my old one burned oil for the whole 50k(until 200k) I owned it and this one with 90k on the engine burns oil so I wouldn't give up consider the car hopeless, I still think u made a damn good choice because of the engine efficiency enhancements from 96 to 01

I found checking the oil every half tank is good.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:53 AM   #33
Registered Member

I check the oil every 3 or 4 days. It's usually 1/3 qt low.

Piston oil relief holes is correct, there are none. The compression rings are usually fine (at least my last compression test was fine) its the oil control rings that gum up and refuse to move. It won't hurt the cylinder walls any, it just allows for a lot of oil to accumulate there, and eventually burn up.

I don't like pulling creature comforts like carpet/passenger seat/dash/etc. I daily drive it and have friends and g/f in my cars all the time. Though it's not a 'Benz, its gotta be somewhat presentable/respectable.

I won't ditch the A/C because I'm hoping to fix it and actually use it since it has crank windows. In my '96 SL2 I don't mind that the A/C is INOP because the power windows allow me to easily control what windows are down to reduce wind noise by my left ear (I hate that). Since this has cranks, and I don't feel like climbing in the back seat to modulate the window everytime I leave the house, I'd rather just click a button and ride in comfort.
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #34
Banned

Can't take out seats or belts its illegal,
(at least to pass inspection). They are safety devices, but your car should remain legal at all times. I think you can get fined for these if pulled over(not sure, depends where too).
Old 03-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #35
Registered Member

As promised.
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 03-20-2010, 02:04 PM   #36
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Clean!
Old 03-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #37
Registered Member

you got THAT car for $1200?! ok, you stole that car and gave her 12 bills for charity.

reminds me...gotta post pics of my new ride.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #38
Registered Member

Sure did!

In all fairness, the circumstances being what they were, she needed a low price to get someone willing to go along w/ her little song and dance.

She was in Cleveland but advertised it on Cincinnati (250 miles away) Craigslist. Said buyer must be willing to purchase on March 13th and be 100% positive about the sale, having no way to drive the car prior to buying it. (or so she thought.. I mean, who would drive 4 hours to buy a $1,200 car? I think thats how she was seeing it as well, but...) Just so happens I have family in Cleveland and needed to get up there and visit anyway, so the timing was perfect. I went up and test drove it and a week later met her in Cincinnati and bought it just like she needed. She apparently has a cousin down here who works for a stealership and was intending on driving her new car back to Cleveland.

I spent about 8-10 hours on the paint to get it back to the original finish. She had parked it for several years under a bilboard and when it rained the glue residue got all over the car. The whole front end and driver's side had this stained clear coat, making the car look half gold (pewter actually), half silver. Another hour on the engine and interior.

I'm very very happy with it. As you can see I can't shutup about the car. I've only put 40 miles on it and that was driving it back to KY the day I bought it. Rides much nicer than my SL2 but cornering isn't as tight w/o the rear sway bar, and the driver's seat doesn't have a lumbar adjuster like my SL2. Can't have it all I guess.
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 03-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #39

you can swap seats so you can have some of it. and you can swap the bars too so you could in fact have it all. except for an arm rest.
thats a clean car. i really wish i could have gotten a newer model but im not too sad about being stuck with tb injection. i cant wait till you start posting some numbers.
kit352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #40
Registered Member

I bought some kind of mesh seat insert you velcro around the seat that has a steel frame with elastic stretched over it to give support to the lower back. I'm using it in the SL2 right now to see how I like it, so far so good. I think I'll just use it on the SL1 when I make the transition.

Steering wheel + cruise control is probably getting swapped over, as well as the rear sway bar if the bolts aren't rusted too badly to remove.

'01 KTM Duke 2