Fuelly average for last 10 top ups. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-27-2019, 01:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

Fuelly average for last 10 top ups.

My Fuelly average, for last 10 top ups, is now sitting above 60 mpg(UK). This is partly due to the warm weather we have been experiencing here in Scotland and also down to less short journeys (3 miles) with more longer trips (80 miles) that circumstance has thrust upon me at present. Certainly pleased with the fuel efficiency. I never coast with the engine off, but try and make maximum use of DFCO where I can.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:40 AM   #2
Registered Member

Well done, good averages there. Do you use the AC? I find it doesn't use as much fuel as I first thought. Havnt used either of my cars much, too many times in Pub beer gardens, but got a 200+ mile trip coming up on Friday so I'll see how I get on.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:16 AM   #3
Registered Member

My Jazz doesn't have air con, much missed in the recent weather. I try and keep the windows closed to restrict drag, and rely on what air comes in through the vents.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:28 AM   #4
Registered Member

Ford excursion v10 4x4

I'm trying to learn where to put different pieces of information but from what I hear I don't know what these people that own the v10 are doing .they must be running the crap out of them. My fuel economy averages are 30 to 50% better.
I'm sure most of you will think I'm on drugs or dreaming. Setting the cruise control on 65 mph on the highway I get between 14 1/2 to 15 mpg. When I pull a trailer that is approximately 10000 pounds plus the weight of my truck 7400 pounds I still get better then their regular MPG. Same thing cruise control 65 mph I get about 9 to 11 MPG. I have 225000 miles on my excursion ,am anal about maintenance . Guys wear lighter shoes on don't put the pedal to the floor . I accelerate reasonably and drive reasonable. because hurrying might save you 5 to10 minutes big deal ...imaboatlover
Imaboatlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:04 AM   #5
Registered Member

Welcome, Imaboatlover. No idea why you chose to post your story here. We were talking about the last 10 fuel ups on my Honda Jazz (Fit in US).
Old 12-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #6
Registered Member

Good show, Jocko!

Yep, those short trips will absolutely slay good fuel economy in an internal combustion engine. Until the engine and its related transmission and differential are thoroughly warmed, there is just too much friction to overcome for the best fuel economy. I suppose those electric vehicles will suffer a lot less in that regard.

I notice that it takes quite a few miles of warm-up time before my car starts achieving its best fuel economy. In the summer, it take maybe 20 miles. In the winter, probably twice that.

And as you noted, that cold air of winter is harder to push through than the hot air of summer.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #7
Registered Member

20-40 miles? Those are long trips to me, can't imagine it takes that long to warm up an engine, I would have thought maybe 5-7 miles for all fluids to get warmed up. I can take as little as 3 minutes to feel warm air from the heaters.

The weather or seasons seems not to affect my figures much, or maybe my driving style changes. Perhaps I drive quicker in the summer when the roads are drier and I can make better use of traction, after all, driving pleasure is more a priority than fuel efficiency to me.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:14 AM   #8
Registered Member

I have a digital temperature read out on my ScanGauge. It takes 10 miles for the engine temperature to get up to full operating temp, warm air from the heater after about 3, but the transmission, wheel bearings and other items, not actively heated up, will easily take 20 to 40 miles to reach full operating temperature
Old 12-04-2019, 06:59 AM   #9
Registered Member

After posting the above I went off on my regular, 40 miles out and 40 miles back, trip to my aged mother-in-law. I set the ScanGauge to display coolant temperature and when I brought the car out of the garage it read 10°C/50°F. The ambient temperature from the local weather station was 8°C/46°F. After a mile, the coolant temp reached 55°C/131°F and the blue coolant cold light went out. I then turned on the heater. In another 3 miles the temperature reached 81°C/178°F and never got any hotter. In the summer it normally sits at 83°C/181°F. When conditions allowed, and I sped up to about 60 mph, the temp dropped back to 79°C/174°F.
On the return journey the temperature started at 50°C/122°F and I experienced the same as on the outward journey. However, as I approached home I turned the heater off, and when I made the engine work (pulling off from stationary and climbing steep hills), it achieved 83°C/181°F, but settled back to 81°C/178°F. What this shows is that in winter, with my car, the coolant never heats up as well as it does in the summer, which probably accounts, in part, for lower winter fuel efficiency.
The miles I quoted in the earlier post were motorway/freeway driving at an ambient of 0°C/32°F.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:38 AM   #10
Registered Member

Motor oil reaches operating tempature after the coolant does.

Grill blocks will help shorten the warm up time.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote