Gas Prices? - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2009, 09:04 AM   #31
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Nice THC - you are the master of posting images!

Oh I totally agree but DUMB is not the word(s) I would use . . . more like sneaky #@%$&* money grubbing oily weasels.

Sort of make me want to stockpile a few tank fulls since I usually use a tank a month I could buy when the price was low and refill when the price jumped up during the peak months. My brother says it is only a few bucks saved and it would go bad before I used it but . . . yeah EACH TIME it would save me a few bucks and if I could get the ethanol free gas hummmm.

BTW there are sites for all the states just fill in your state name. It also shows a great road map and the locations of the gas stations with reported prices.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc455 View Post
Our governor is announcing a $0.19 per gallon increase in gas tax today.
talk of the tax per mile is heating up once again. and once again(as with any gas tax increase) it is w/ no thought of the poor.

so, single moms better plan to walk their kids to school and buy a bicycle w/ a LARGE basket for shopping.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #33
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
The increase I heard about was about $0.50 more per gallon and it would pay for the removal of the toll booths across the state thus saving money . . . ya have to wonder how much they make at those toll booths with the payrolls and income taxes and benifits that get paid out. It does in effect just get passed down to the consumer in the end.

What really ticks me off is leaving Logan Airport if you are in the right lane by the time you see the sign for the Mass Pike it is too late to change lanes to NOT take it. Then you have to go through a toll booth $2.00 to get off and another toll booth $2.00 to go back to 93 south.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:33 AM   #34
Registered Member

certain toll booths here are allowing ONLY exact change or prepaid accounts toll passing during off-peak hours to cut payroll.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:52 AM   #35
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
Sort of make me want to stockpile a few tank fulls since I usually use a tank a month I could buy when the price was low and refill when the price jumped up during the peak months. My brother says it is only a few bucks saved and it would go bad before I used it but . . .
I'm skeptical about gas going bad. Sure, if you let gas sit for years you shouldn't expect your lawnmower to start easily on it, but I think modern cars are much more robust/less sensitive to gas quality than older ones, and I think modern gas doesn't go stale as quickly/badly.

I can dump any old gas that's been rotting in my yard into any fuel-injected vehicle in my driveway and drive away. OTOH, trying to use >1 year old gas with a carburetor is a less pleasant thought. The gas in my Buick must be over a year by now...drat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
What really ticks me off is leaving Logan Airport if you are in the right lane by the time you see the sign for the Mass Pike it is too late to change lanes to NOT take it. Then you have to go through a toll booth $2.00 to get off and another toll booth $2.00 to go back to 93 south.
Had exactly that problem when I picked up my parents at Logan a few weeks ago. At that point I didn't even care about the toll, it was late at night and I wanted to get them home so I could get home...all the extra time was coming out of my sleep budget.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #36
Registered Member

i belive IL tolls if you happen to go thru the automatic toll thing(picks up on a box you velcor to your windsield and it deducts the ammount of the toll from your online account) that if you dont have one and accidently blow thru it they just snap a pic of your license plate and send you a letter stating you owe XX much (cost of the toll) and you can pay it online.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #37
Registered Member

in FL, i'm certain, if you blow thru a toll w/out a prepaid account, the fine is well over $100 per incident.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
talk of the tax per mile is heating up once again. and once again(as with any gas tax increase) it is w/ no thought of the poor.

so, single moms better plan to walk their kids to school and buy a bicycle w/ a LARGE basket for shopping.
No, it's the opposite.

Since gas taxes don't go directly to fixing the roads (like the governor is trying to make us forget), a lot of the gas tax money goes to other state programs like welfare and food stamps. So he's definitely thinking of the poor, and how to keep getting votes from the poor.

If the gas tax was ONLY used for maintaining roads, I couldn't complain about it - I believe that the gas tax is the fairest "usage fee" that can be assessed. But the gasoline taxes go into the general fund, not into a road fund.

-BC
Old 02-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #39
Registered Member

One station here dropped their price to $1.599 per gallon. It was as low as $1.329 at the lowest price and had creeped up to $1.699. Those are the best prices I have seen in the last 3 months.

Most of the rest of the stations are in the $1.719 to $1.819 range, but usually when one drops their price the others follow.

We'll see.

regards
gary
Old 02-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc455 View Post
No, it's the opposite.

Since gas taxes don't go directly to fixing the roads (like the governor is trying to make us forget), a lot of the gas tax money goes to other state programs like welfare and food stamps. So he's definitely thinking of the poor, and how to keep getting votes from the poor.
good point, but i was refering to single moms(and low income families) that do NOT receive gov't assistance.

the problem w/ increasing taxes is that it can increase the need for assistance as many, like us, are JUST making it w/out help. take away in one area, give away in another.

that post reminds me of the "borrowing" of the SS tax funds fiasco.