Gas Prices? - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #41
DRW
Registered Member

Here's an idea:
When gas prices have risen 50 cents above their lowest price of winter I'll raise my tire pressure 5psi. If gas goes up another 50 cents above that, I'll go up another 5psi. I hope that will carry me through the summer price peak, otherwise I'll run out of bravery!

Old 02-23-2009, 04:11 AM   #42
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I'm skeptical about gas going bad. Sure, if you let gas sit for years you shouldn't expect your lawnmower to start easily on it, but I think modern cars are much more robust/less sensitive to gas quality than older ones, and I think modern gas doesn't go stale as quickly/badly.

I can dump any old gas that's been rotting in my yard into any fuel-injected vehicle in my driveway and drive away. OTOH, trying to use >1 year old gas with a carburetor is a less pleasant thought. The gas in my Buick must be over a year by now...drat...
Heck, when we fired up Rusty last year, the fuel in the tank was 3 years old. I didn't like running on old fuel, but it did work. Once I got plates on it I did top off the tank though. Rusty isn't fuel injected.

Also, a friend & I have a van that we do nothing but drive to antique shows in. Its a 1 ton GMC van, and it goes maybe 500 miles a year, and can go for months at a time without even being started. It always starts right up, and I've never had a problem with "old gas" in it either.

It seems that lawnmowers, garden tractors, and other small engines like that are most sensitive to old fuel problems. When my sister was newly married, and didn't have the money to buy a lawnmower for her new house, dad went to the dump, picked up a mower, took it home and changed the oil & fuel and it started right up. Dad says that most lawnmowers don't start at the beginning of the season because of old gas, and people don't know that and just buy a new one.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:01 AM   #43
Registered Member

On the flipside, friend of mine picked up a '75 Chrysler Newport That had been sitting for years. Got it running on the old gas in the tank. Varnishes were deposited onto the valves from the gas, they got stuck, and bent the push rods.

I'll use gas from season to season for the lawnmower, but I put Sta-bil in it to be safe.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:02 AM   #44
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
That makes some sense because my brother was always complaining about the motorcycle gas that he works on going bad but that would also be a small tank sitting on top of a hot engine which totally changes the issue. The gas gets heated a lot more and has a lot more air ventilation in non-sealed gas tanks.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:28 AM   #45
Site Team / Moderator

My Grandfather used to love Newports. He had a metallic green 69 Newport, and then traded that in on a burgundy 76 Newport. When he was ready to buy another car in 81 the Newport was downsized (On a Diplomat Chassis I believe) so he bought a Grand Marquis.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #46
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
It seems that lawnmowers, garden tractors, and other small engines like that are most sensitive to old fuel problems. When my sister was newly married, and didn't have the money to buy a lawnmower for her new house, dad went to the dump, picked up a mower, took it home and changed the oil & fuel and it started right up. Dad says that most lawnmowers don't start at the beginning of the season because of old gas, and people don't know that and just buy a new one.

-Jay
Your Dad is right...... Gas in small engine things like lawnmowers, snoblowers, tillers, etc is more prone to going bad faster. (As opposed to larger gas tanks in vehicles that are sealed better).

To save yourself some trouble, only get about a gallon or so or what you are going to use up in two weeks or less, at one time. The little lawnmower tank only holds a quarter of a gallon anyway. Put Sta-Bil in the gas can and then pump the gas on top of it and it will mix well. Then put it in the lawnmower (or whatever). Use the Sta-Bil all the time. You only need a little bit of it. Make sure you always keep the gas can cap and fuel tank cap on tight. Before storage just fill the tank. Doing that, the mower will fire right up after sitting all winter. I have never ever had a problem with my mower, snowblower, tiller, not starting when I was ready to use it. The gas won't go bad on you that way.

Just my experience.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
About as many of them as there are unicorns.
i don't know, as long as they don't have dead-beat dads for ex-husbands, they should't need gov't help. is a single mom still considered such if she gets help from the ex?

anyway, back on topic...

if they would just suck it up and stay together, gas prices wouldn't be such an issue would it? not to mention wasting extra energy on 2 residents, utlities, etc.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
I'll use gas from season to season for the lawnmower, but I put Sta-bil in it to be safe.
i use it as well. with the humidity in florida, i wouldn't even try to start a vehicle w/ more than 12 month old gas(w/ or w/out stabil).
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #49
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
One station here dropped their price to $1.599 per gallon. It was as low as $1.329 at the lowest price and had creeped up to $1.699. Those are the best prices I have seen in the last 3 months.

Most of the rest of the stations are in the $1.719 to $1.819 range, but usually when one drops their price the others follow.

We'll see.

regards
gary
I just filled for 1.69. It was 10 cents more last week. I like that.
KU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #50
Registered Member

Gas prices went down at the station across from my school.

guest001 is offline   Reply With Quote