Got my work cut out for me. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

Got my work cut out for me.

Okay I’ve been driving my new gas sucking beast for a couple of tanks now and though my ScanGuage still hasn’t showed up in the mail my calculations (which could be wrong) suggest I’m getting a combined fuel average of 10.4 MPG.
LAME.
I pay about $90-$100 to fill er up with a 90L tank and I’m getting just under but up to 400 Km’s per tank (about 248 miles or so).

I just changed out the oil to Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic and I added a Wix oil filter.
My buddy swears by the Lucas products so I added some of the Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer too.
I got a sweet deal on a Brute Force Air Intake Kit (1/2 off last in stock just over $150) arriving in the mail in a few days, but I think it’s going to take a whole lot more!
Some of the guys over at Ford-Trucks.com have gotten as good as 19mpg with the same truck as me, but most of these guys started out with 14-15mpg before they started tricking them out.
Over at Fuelly.com everyone is doing much better than me too!

So I’m not sure exactly what I should be doing from here.
My next guess is to check the plugs, and maybe the wires.
I’ve read about replacing the Oxygen Sensors, cleaning the MAF sensor.

Should I take it into the Ford Dealer and have them run a computer on it to see if anything looks out of whack or just carry on with the plugs and then Oxygen sensor?

GasSavers_FordF150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #2

its tough to get really good mileage when its this cold out. it really screws everything up. i used to get 14-15 in my ford so it does look like your a little off. your also getting stuck with the winter blend of gas to make matters worse.
how are you calculating mpg's? ive seen some really screwed up methods. simplest is usually the best. youve really got to zero things in to get a good measurement. on trucks the tires can vary quite a bit so 1 mile may or may not be 1 mile on the od. i used to test mine on a measured mile to make sure it was good which it usually wasnt.

kit352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
Registered Member

To figure my MPG I fill her up and drive it till she’s empty then filled her up again. I take the total traveled distance by the total used liters (on the pump) then convert to gallons. Convert the distance traveled into miles (we use km’s) then divide the miles by the gallons.
Am I doing that right?
It's not that cold out here right now. Been floating around 9 degrees Celsius to as low as 0 but mostly above 0.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Registered Member

I agree on cold weather temps affecting mileage. How many miles on your Ford?
My bro-in-law gets like 4-5 in the winter on an 84. He keeps it parked most of the time until he needs the 4x4. It's also a 250.

I had an 86 E350 diesel that got 13, on a good day.

You seem like you're on the right track. Wait till your Scan II gets to you. It will check for any codes that may be thrown. So I'd hold off on getting to the dealer. Save the money for your tank. Some people say those hydrogen gizmos work & actually clean everything in the process. Has anyone tried one, or is it BS?

Have a good day 'eh!
Dave
92 Prelude Si
Dave's Civic Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
It sounds like you're probably doing it right, but the way you describe it it sounds like you may be doing an extra division.

1. Fill up, don't top off after the pump clicks.
2. Reset your trip meter or write down odometer reading.
3. Drive until you're ready to fill again. You don't have to run it down to fumes.
4. Fill up, don't top off after the pump clicks.
5. Note volume of fuel pumped. Convert to gallons.
6. Note distance since last fill. Convert to miles.
7. Divide miles by gallons.

Alternatively, you can skip converting, figure it in the usual metric format (l/100km), then just feed that into Google and let Google convert the whole thing. Here's an example of Google doing the conversion:
http://www.google.com/search?q=10+l%2F100km+to+mpg
Old 01-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
Registered Member

Oh now I love Google even more!
Well my ScanGauge shouldn't be that far away now and then I can just watch the screen. Though here in Canada they just put a ban on drivers operating any electronics while driving as of Jan 1st. Lame.
Unless it's voice activated or 1 button touch it's a $164 fine if you get caught using it as the driver.
I still don't know how they are going to enforce it.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
Registered Member

I know when I drive in Canada, can't use the Radar detector either, at least in Ontario. 'Eh?
92 Prelude Si
Dave's Civic Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordF150 View Post
Oh now I love Google even more!
Well my ScanGauge shouldn't be that far away now and then I can just watch the screen. Though here in Canada they just put a ban on drivers operating any electronics while driving as of Jan 1st. Lame.
Unless it's voice activated or 1 button touch it's a $164 fine if you get caught using it as the driver.
I still don't know how they are going to enforce it.
try hiding it behind a flip panel or in the arm rest with a cable so you can pull it out and watch it. ive even put things behind the gauge cluster glass just to make it look good. i saw a guy on another forum do that to with a circular type scangauge imposter. just cut a 2 1/4in hole right threw the dash and popped it in. i couldnt for the life of me figure out why he would go to all that trouble but i think it was on a canadian forum so that kinda explains it.

get creative and find a home for it. its pretty small. maybe even notch it into the visor so you can flip it up.
kit352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
Registered Member

Yea like they say "when there is a will there is a way" I'll find somewhere for it to call home.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
Registered Member

Surely the scan gauge wouldn't count? It's just another set of gauges... Like the OE instrument panel.

Quote:
I added some of the Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer too.
I wouldn't do that again. There's no need to put a syrup into your crank case; especially with the cold starts during winter in Canada.