has anyone tried the nology hotwires for MPG savings? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

has anyone tried the nology hotwires for MPG savings?

i was wondering if anyone tried a set of nology hotwires or grantelli wires for MPG savings.

coucoui 6

ps. i thought i would let everyone know... that i was recently disappointed with my acetone/xylene mix, fuel heater and conservative driving. i only got 17 MPG city driving on my 95 nissan pathfinder with 31" tires. i was able to get 17 MPG city before i did everything. but i also just remembered that i drilled 6 - 2" diameter hole in my air box before the air filter. i was thinking that it will let more air for more power and better efficiency. but i guess that more air can give the MAF to tell the computer more load thus injecting more fuel.

maybe i should cover those holes up?

Coucoui6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
Registered Member

Make it into a warm air intake.

Put a piece of duct on one side and the other facing the exhaust (firewall) or the radiator. Then it will help because the air will be much more expanded and read LESS so it inject less fuel

Old 08-20-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
On spark plug wires: Here's another discussion about trying different wires for better MPG: http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=8696

17 mpg is pretty good for that vehicle, I think.

Your holes have no effect on your fuel economy unless you run high RPM + wide open throttle a lot -- but if you did that you'd never get 17mpg from that vehicle. Your concern about more air to the MAF and therefore more fuel shouldn't be a worry for a these reasons:
- At low RPM and/or low throttle, the airbox was already not a restriction.
- If you get more air and more fuel, you get more power and therefore you let off the gas pedal.

I doubt that covering or leaving the holes would change anything, unless it affects intake air temperature.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
On spark plug wires: Here's another discussion about trying different wires for better MPG: http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=8696

17 mpg is pretty good for that vehicle, I think.

Your holes have no effect on your fuel economy unless you run high RPM + wide open throttle a lot -- but if you did that you'd never get 17mpg from that vehicle. Your concern about more air to the MAF and therefore more fuel shouldn't be a worry for a these reasons:
- At low RPM and/or low throttle, the airbox was already not a restriction.
- If you get more air and more fuel, you get more power and therefore you let off the gas pedal.

I doubt that covering or leaving the holes would change anything, unless it affects intake air temperature.

yes. i read about the kiker wires... it didn't make any sense to me. i wanted to post about nology but did not want to steal the tread. the nology hotwires make sense to me because of the capcitor. but, i've just never tried them.

years ago i had a jacob power pack for a 88 bmw 535i. it seemed to help with smoother throttle responce but i did not calculate MPG.... gas was only $.98 per gal back then. (maybe .87 cents... i cant remember)
Old 08-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
Registered Member

theholycow...
i think you right on my air box holes with lower RPM's.... i try pretty hard to keep my motor under 3K rpm. so i shift to the next higher gear when i can.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
Registered Member

as far as things that work and don't work, I would search the garage for cars that get pretty good mileage and read their gas logs. I have found quite a few good ideas from others that have tried things. obviously not everything will work for your vehicle but it does give you an idea.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote