How many MPG's am I losing for extra 20amps? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
...and if you're going to charge the battery at home, why not skip the extra steps and their associated waste, and just make the HHO at home instead?

Old 07-19-2008, 05:46 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
...and if you're going to charge the battery at home, why not skip the extra steps and their associated waste, and just make the HHO at home instead?
You would need to store it somehow. A decent amount of gas would take up a lot of volume at STP, and compressing it seems unwise at best to me. I mean, isn't HHO just electrolyzed water - a mix of H2 and O2 gasses? If that's the case, you would have hydrogen, a violently flammable gas, mixed with a stoichiometric ratio of oxidizer. Those kind of mixtures tend to explode, rather than burn when ignited. If you compressed the mixture to save space, it would explode all the more violently when ignited.

GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
You would need to store it somehow. A decent amount of gas would take up a lot of volume at STP, and compressing it seems unwise at best to me. I mean, isn't HHO just electrolyzed water - a mix of H2 and O2 gasses? If that's the case, you would have hydrogen, a violently flammable gas, mixed with a stoichiometric ratio of oxidizer. Those kind of mixtures tend to explode, rather than burn when ignited. If you compressed the mixture to save space, it would explode all the more violently when ignited.
Not to mention the hydrogen seepage problem. Hydrogen gas will seep through stainless steel and many other containers, and turns metals brittle.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:10 PM   #14
Registered Member

Compressed HHO can be described with another term.

BOMB

regards gary
Old 07-20-2008, 03:39 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Ah, that explains why. I kinda thought it might be the answer...
Old 07-20-2008, 07:56 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
Compressed HHO can be described with another term.

BOMB

regards gary
Sounds like fun!
Old 07-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ven View Post
I understand pulling extra power puts an extra load on my alternator. I am pulling 20amps total (about 240 watts in all) and I'm trying to figure out how much FE this is costing me. I am running HHO and am looking for an alternative power solution. First, I am trying to determine if it will be worth it.
If I had the engineering skill and money to waste i would build a solar panel and install it in place of the car body to run the whole car. Of course you couldn't justify the cost to build it just for the difference in the gas savings over a regular gas burning car, but from a technoligical standpoint it would be worth it.

I don't think you should be so overly concerned about the 20 amp draw as it relates to gas mileage. If you need the 20 amp draw use it and forget it. If you don't need it, then don't use it since at that point it would certainly be a waste. Just wasting gas for "no reason" would be worse.

If you are really really really concerned about gas mileage then do what my Son did and put a motor on a bike and get 150 mpg. He rides it to work every day and uses 1 gallon of gas per month. Of course, he can't ride it in the pouring rain/snow/etc, or go grocery shopping, pick up a load of lumber at Home Depot, etc etc, but that is what his vehicle is for.

Just use the 20 amps if you want/need it.

Of course, this is just my opinion.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #18
Registered Member

I've just been thinking about solar panels in connection with hydrogen... but because I'm cooking up some crazy scheme for photohydrogen using carrot juice....
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:02 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
I'm cooking up some crazy scheme for photohydrogen using carrot juice....
Hmm... Use chlorophyl to synthesize sugars, reform the sugars to produce hydrogen with CO2 as a by-product. Use the hydrogen as fuel and feed the CO2 back to the chlorophyl. It probably isn't all that efficient, but it might be more so than photovoltaics and electrolysis.
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:31 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
Hmm... Use chlorophyl to synthesize sugars, reform the sugars to produce hydrogen with CO2 as a by-product. Use the hydrogen as fuel and feed the CO2 back to the chlorophyl.
Can you grow it on-board?