How the first tank of gas from dealer is riolled into Fuelly calculation? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

How the first tank of gas from dealer is riolled into Fuelly calculation?

I picked up my car with 50 miles on it with full tank of gas. I don't know how much gas the dealer put in the tank. My question is how Fuelly calculate the MPG with the information.

cookiejarav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:07 PM   #2
Registered Member

Which method of tracking are you using? Trip or total odometer? Depending on method, I think there is an "initial fill" option. Either way, you're better off driving to your nearest filling station and topping off the tank, fuelly needs to go from a full tank, back to a full tank to work out your economy, whether you do 600 miles or 6 in between.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:35 PM   #3
Registered Member

Just disregard the petrol that was in the tank. The first time you fill it up is your "Initial fill" and you just go from there. When I bought my car it had petrol in it, but how much was anyone's guess. To get accurate figures you can only use your own fill ups.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #4
Registered Member

That's what I did with my new Mazda3: I started the Fuelly records with my first fillup and the odometer reading at that fillup. The first tank and miles were not counted.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:12 AM   #5
LDB
Registered Member

I go from the dealer to the nearest station and fill the tank when I pick up a car. That way the mpg readings start within a mile or two of my getting the car. I use total odometer mileage. I've had dealers reset the trip odometer when the car was in the shop although I can't figure why. Anyway, that's what works for me.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:57 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I go from the dealer to the nearest station and fill the tank when I pick up a car. That way the mpg readings start within a mile or two of my getting the car. I use total odometer mileage. I've had dealers reset the trip odometer when the car was in the shop although I can't figure why. Anyway, that's what works for me.
That is exactly what I do. With the Jazz, the dealer delivered the car to me, I drove him back to the dealership and topped off the tank then. I too use total odometer miles. That way it frees up the trip odometer for the very few occasions I find it useful.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:41 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiejarav4 View Post
I picked up my car with 50 miles on it with full tank of gas. I don't know how much gas the dealer put in the tank. My question is how Fuelly calculate the MPG with the information.
Congratulation ....

about your question ... DO NOT worry about it unless you only plan to keep the car for a few month. The first fill up will be inaccurate ... but after about 10 15 fill up all the errors will be worked out the initial 50 miles error will be smoothed out in the overall mpg and the per/tank numbers will be fine ...

After a few year the first unknow gallon and miles will not matter a bit
szgabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:31 PM   #8
LDB
Registered Member

That is the problem. You can't know how much is in the tank to begin with. The only way for Fuelly to calculate is to start from a full tank. That's why I fill up immediately on getting a car. Then my Fuelly starts at that point and the next time I fill the tank it can do a correct calculation.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 01:05 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
Just disregard the petrol that was in the tank. The first time you fill it up is your "Initial fill" and you just go from there. When I bought my car it had petrol in it, but how much was anyone's guess. To get accurate figures you can only use your own fill ups.
That's what I did with my "new to me" 1998 Corvette.
allfalldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:25 PM   #10
Registered Member

I used to note my numbers at the pumps, but now I top up, leave the filling station and stop somewhere safe to do my numbers and set up the ScanGauge. The tiny error this creates is insignificant and lost over the life of a vehicle.