How to identify O2 sensor wires? How to tap them? How to read them? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2008, 07:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Question How to identify O2 sensor wires? How to tap them? How to read them?

I'd like to tap an O2 sensor's wires and hopefully use a DMM to get a relative idea of A/F ratio while driving. I'm pretty sure mine are narrowband.

The normally sensible engineers at GM decided that my pre- and post-cat O2 sensors should have the same color wires and be in the same bundles. Besides physically tracing the wires or using a tone generator & probe, how do I tell them apart?

Once I find them, I assume I can just carefully tap them with a scotch-lok quick splice. I won't need to cut and interrupt them to put my meter in series, right? I don't want to interfere by measuring...

Once I have my DMM hooked up, I'm pretty sure I'll have to look at voltage. Would a higher reading mean richer or leaner? A little googling makes me think that higher voltage means richer ratio.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
Registered Member

Yes- a higher voltage (above 0.45v) usually means rich.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Thanks, that's one question answered.

Also, they have three or four wires (I'm working off the ECM pinout here, I was under the truck looking at them earlier but I don't want to get dirty now) each. One is described as "low" and the other "high", and a third is the heater, and a fourth is "low reference". Which do I probe, the low or the high? Or, do all these wires mean I have wideband sensors (and then what does that mean I can additionally do)?
Old 05-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
heated O2 sensors are not wide-band O2 sensors. if you tap into the O2 sensor, it's going to give a signal that flips rich/lean several times a second... very hard to read. I've known people that put a A/F gauge on a regular O2 sensor and it was pretty much useless except as a flashing light. if you want a readable gauge, get a wideband O2 sensor and gauge.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:07 AM   #5
Registered Member

Drat. Wideband sensors are expensive.

There is a LED bar graph DIY gauge that I found after I posted this, which appears to be very popular, but I need to find a little more info on building it or just suck it up and buy one.
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_0217/arti...popularArticle

So, what do "low" and "high" mean?
Old 05-26-2008, 08:12 AM   #6
Registered Member

What kamesama said. I think without a wideband sensor you won't be getting useful information.

monroe74 is offline   Reply With Quote