Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #11
Supporting Member

MorningGaser -

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGaser View Post

I'd rather leave the $50,000 luxury cars to the people that can truly afford them: Multi-millionaires! I don't know about others, but I don't want to be eating cat food at 70. ;-)
Amen, brother. I lament the advent of the Japanese into the luxury car market in the go-go 80's.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:34 PM   #12
ELF
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeUU View Post
Well I guess GM updated the "S-10" recently, hard to see it though with out lifting the hood.

Iso.

I believe GM stopped making the S-10 in 2003, and Replaced it with the larger colorado.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:31 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kps View Post
My father worked much of his life as a frame carpenter / subcontractor. During that period he usually drove a small wagon or hatchback, for his tools.
There's a carpenter/handyman around here who drives an Aveo. His previous car was a Metro.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
There's a carpenter/handyman around here who drives an Aveo. His previous car was a Metro.
My father is in the furniture touch up business... He drives a 5 speed Element now (big deciding factor came from the seats -- they're great if you have back problems and need extra support) - he used to drive an old Mercedes 240D (NA Diesel)

He's in yacht yards all the time... and the foreign crews are always amazed to see an American with a stick shift (it's actually quite funny to watch).

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:25 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
Just saw this on yahoo.com Should be interesting if Nissan were to bring over one of their smaller super economy cars to the U.S.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070418...n_070418204150

Now I will be pondering what car they are talking about. Or perhaps, they are planning on making a totally new model for the U.S. Either way, things could start to get interesting!
Thats not news. VW is planing on making the 1L car! now thats news.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...TOKEN=77809329

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:05 PM   #16
Registered Member

Hatchback Utility Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS
My father worked much of his life as a frame carpenter / subcontractor. During that period he usually drove a small wagon or hatchback, for his tools. Materials for any serious work don't fit in a pickup anyway; lumberyards deliver.
Going to the hardware store or lumber yard is no problem with the Integra. So far, it has hauled mulch, lumber, ~400 pounds of paver bricks, and has been an essential part of moving, more than once. With all seats folded (inlcuding the front passenger) the utility is great. I really don't see the need for a pickup or SUV for the average household -- you can rent one for a day cheaper than owning one for 5 years, or just have smaller vehicle with some cargo capacity.

If there's a need for truck, I can see having one around for the farm, towing heavy loads for work/business or the extra ground clearance for traversing rough terrain regularly -- which is the key word.

I've noticed that folks have the opinion that "if the situation should arise" or "I go fishing once or twice a year" they need a large 4X4. The answer is simply to rent one for those occasions. It's much cheaper, more efficient, and safer. If it's necessary to own one, the best possible option is to use it as only when needed.

RH77
Old 04-19-2007, 08:18 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
having growen up with 2 older brothers, and haveing the family car be a VW rabbit untill I was about 12, and we made the mistake of owning a mini van for a few years, I never saw it as a problem, and at 6' tall, and 240lb, I still fit in the back of both the metro, and civic hatchbacks, and comfertably enough to ride there for a number of hours on end.
for hauling kids, and camping, I would sugest something like a subaru station wagon, sure they don't get great mileage, but it's still better then most pickup trucks, have 4 doors, a fold down rear seat, 5 seat belts for all the kids, why station wagons seem to be out of styel, I don't understand, same with hatch backs, sedans are just a silly idea all around.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:07 AM   #18
Registered Member

To all: Yeah, being in construction almost demands that you have a pickup. Not at all out of necessity, but more because you will get teased if you don't. Thing is, the guys doing the teasing just drive their trucks because of their small self-esteem or small dicks. Probably a little bit of both.

kickflipjr: I hope I am wrong, but to me that reads like "hello, I am the failed project who will never see the light of day." Or something to that effect... like I said though, I hope I am wrong. In the mean time, I will put my faith in Nissan to deliver.

Americans are brainwashed consumers who are in a continual rat race until the day they die. I am glad that I realized this before buying some of the stupid things that I wanted when I was younger.

On a side note, has anyone calculated the costs of ownership of a car? I have been thinking about getting a new Yaris (still hate the name, Vitz is WAY better), but even this works out to about $8/day if I were to keep it for 10 years. That is of course assuming no residual value. So it should probably be closer to $6.50-$7.00/day...
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:58 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflipjr View Post
Thats not news. VW is planing on making the 1L car! now thats news.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...TOKEN=77809329

I think I would perfer the Aptera typ-1 over the VW 1L car, since the Aptera gets better mileage, has better aero, more interior space, and is physically larger than the VW (easier to spot in traffic)
Old 04-20-2007, 10:38 AM   #20
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
why station wagons seem to be out of styel, I don't understand,
I stand firm when I make this statement:

All SUVs are STATION WAGONS!!! It is the same two box shape that is shared with the mini-van and cars formally referred to as "station wagons" that are so out of style.

What really is hilarious is an Tahoe/Suburban/Expedition that is lowered. Is that not a station wagon, albeit a big/heavy one, but please.

The station wagon is not out of style, it is now called a "life activity vehicle" or "cross-over".

I love my mini-van, they are too dang useful.

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote