Is three quarters of a tank really three quarters of a tank? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2007, 07:11 PM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Drove out to Worcester on the highway at 65mph and engine on coasting down the hills to 58-60mph before accelerating back to 65-70mph. Filled up right before I went back home because the gas was $2.579. Took less than 8 gallons with topping off. Average for the 449 mile tank was a little over 56MPG. Not as good as I was hoping for but considering the rear tires had been underinflated and the fronts are only rated to 35psi... and the high idle when warming up and all the stop and go driving and idling at stoplights etc... not too bad. I drove the first 80 miles of this new tank at 75mph so I'll prolly not be able to get 60mpg for this tank either, but we'll see.

About tire pressure. How much over the max sidewall PSI do people inflate their tires? I see some people on here have them as high as 60psi. Are there tires that are designed to be inflated this high or are people inflating them over the max sidewall psi?

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:35 PM   #22
Registered Member

people are exceeding the sidewall rating.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:21 PM   #23
Registered Member

You can't go wrong looking at old posts by krousdb.
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=803
Old 09-03-2007, 04:11 PM   #24
Registered Member

I know with my VX I would often go 120 miles before the gauge moving, and then it would stick at 1/4 tank until about 230 miles, then at right around 250, it would go to half, or lower.

Out of all of the Hondas I've owned, my VX has the least accurate gas gauge. Maybe b/c it also has the smallest gas tank? I don't know.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #25
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Ok, I filled up my car when the gauge got to E but it only took 7.9 gallons before spilling gas all over the place. The thing is I had the nozzle in the gas tank upside down because I was stretching it to the wrong side of the car (I had the gas tank facing the wrong way) Was my tank actually full or did it overspill because I had the nozzle in upside down? I was taken by surprise when the tank overflowed because I was expecting to go to 9 gallons. 530 miles on 7.9 gallons means I got 67mpg. While it's not totally unthinkable, compared to my last tank of just under 57, that is quite an improvement. Although this tank I didn't have any fuel system cleaner which apparently makes the gas burn quicker. I'm thinking if my gas gauge doesn't budge for the first 50 miles, then it was all the way filled up. If it wasn't filled up, it should start dropping soon. Wish I had filled up properly so I wouldn't have this ambiguity. What does anyone think? Does having the nozzle in the gas tank upside down cause premature overspillage before the tank is full?

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote