Low Rolling Resistance tyres - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2012, 01:00 AM   #11

The fuel saving on LRRs is modest but as a rough rule of thumb should cover the price of the tyres over the life of the tyre.

Of course the really important thing is to check that your tyres are never underinflated (regardless of whether they are LRRs or not).

MMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
Registered Member

Looking for data on LRR tyres is going to be tough, there are many variables to consider what is actively assisting in aiding better fuel efficiency.

To be quite honest, some claims I have seen regarding LRR tyres can be perceived as misleading.

I have figures from my mates Holden Astra AH diesel station wagon, but...he drives in rural Australia. Posting results and figures of increased fuel economy achieved would differ to what others may experience in other locations.

Though, I can give you a rough idea...

His priorities consist of a comfortable quiet premium touring tyre without any compromise to grip and handling, after some research and pricing he came across the Michelin Primacy LC 205/55/16 91W rated as an ‘Eco tyre’.

The increase in fuel economy has been much better than expected as compared to previous results on other sets of tyres. Originally the findings were first met with scepticism, but consistent figures have ruled this out.... including the ‘placebo effect.’

The LRR Michelin addresses a wide range of expectations people traditionally expect in a tyre, there has also been noticeable advantages with comfort, sound levels and tyre wear.

Overall.... in his situation the economics of the tyres has been a favourable, positive, and a warranted choice.

The benefits are there, it’s basically a matter of looking at your situation in regards to your vehicle use and how to use them to your advantage.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:22 AM   #13
Registered Member

Is there a way to get rolling resistance info about motorcycle tires? The only thing I know that my present Heidenau K73 set seems to have higher RR (and also reads less distance, because of different diameter, I guess) than the previous Metzeler Z6 pair. I've never had a 90mpg+ tank since I have these on Teresa, my BMW F650CS.

I'd like to get something else when these wear off, probably Michelin Pilot Road 3. It has harder compound in the middle so it wears slower, but I don't know how do they compare in RR to my present tires. Metzeler Z8 can be another alternative, Z6 was a good one regarding tire life (but had definitely worse traction at winter).

alvaro84 is offline   Reply With Quote