Registered Member

proper test

proper test conducted...

results posted in 'experiments' thread

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:15 AM   #72
Registered Member

Hotter Air

I've found that the air needs to get hotter to produce a result for my vehicles. After they get to normal operating temps, my IAT is around 130-140F. Maybe you could get the air hotter, somehow...

RH77

Old 01-18-2006, 10:25 AM   #73
*shrug*

Re: Hotter Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
I've found that the air needs to get hotter to produce a result for my vehicles. After they get to normal operating temps, my IAT is around 130-140F. Maybe you could get the air hotter, somehow...

RH77
Pulling off the cat should do this. That and insulating the WAI to not lose the heat.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:56 AM   #74
Registered Member

I confirmed this week that

I confirmed this week that the IAT controls timing on my car (someone checked their shop manual). so any gains in temp may be offset by reduced ignition advance. though i don't know the exact relationship between the 2 variables.

last week i also attempted to run a second set of tests at much colder temps, but abandoned it half-way thru. the theory was: WAI benefits will be more pronounced the colder the ambient temp is.

but the ambient temp was slowly rising as i did the first 4 bi-dir runs (about 4F from the first run to when i quit) and this was reflected in the values i was getting in the control set (it could also have been the driveline continuing to warm up to operating temps - even though i had about 1.5 hrs of driving). ambient was around -16C /3F when i started.

cold-weather testing is just too hard. there's too much variability.

so i'll be waiting for spring to do any more scangauge experiments.

my conclusion on WAI: whether it helps depends on the specific vehicle and how it responds to IAT temps. The independent benefit of less dense air on reducing throttling losses is going to be very small as to be essentially undetectable. and in my case that density efficiency gain may have been offset by reduced ignition timing anyway.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:11 PM   #75
Registered Member

Basically my setup is near

Basically my setup is near the header the pipe is the hottest and the more it goes from the header the cooler the pipe gets. It seems to be working, my mpg went up like crazy. At 300 miles it hit the 1/4 mark. Don't forget I have transmission problems and I put those two mods when it was after 200 miles.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote