MPG Marathon 2016 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-12-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

MPG Marathon 2016

In a few days time the 2016 MPG Marathon will be taking place in the UK, a 300 mile two day event in a variety of cars, not necessarily of the fuel efficient kind, to demonstrate the potential fuel saving costs of fleet owners. This year looks interesting, the new Prius plug in will be entering, as will a 5.0 litre V8 Mustang, not to mention Hyundai's hydrogen fuel cell SUV!

There are winners of various categories, from EV's, to Vans and SUV's. Last year's best MPG overall winners achieved 104 MPG in a Peugeot diesel. Looking forward to the results which shall be posted in this thread.

https://youtu.be/1YdfsZKWmgs

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #2
Registered Member

Well the results aren't officially released publicly until Friday, but turns out one of my Facebook friends just happens to be friends with the Mustang driver, and what showed on my news feed after she commented on his post, is that they somehow managed a 75% improvement over the combined fuel economy figure!

How's that possible in a V8? Assuming the 2016 Mustang has cylinder deactivation?

Old 10-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
Registered Member

I don't think ford has cylinder deactivation. The EPA combined is 18-19mpg, so they have to get it to 30ishmpg. It comes down to the course and speeds. It can get into top gear around 40 to 45 mph, and you just cruise at that. I forget what engine it was, but a publicity stunt on a banked track returned over 40mpg from a Mustang a few years ago.

Some owners of the newer model on here are averaging over the the EPA for the V8, with a few close to 30mpg. For a fuel economy competition, getting over 30 mpg shouldn't be difficult for an experienced hypermiler.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:11 PM   #4
Registered Member

Well I checked the figures, if I'm correct, they should have got around 37 UK MPG, which is great for a 5.0 litre monster. I'm looking forward to seeing what the others got, the Prius plug in, the Kia Nero hybrid, and there are vans entering too.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #5
LDB
Registered Member

I remember this from last year. It's very interesting. I'll be looking forward to the reports too.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:11 PM   #6
Registered Member

Stang V's Prius, taken from twitter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CvCdTAZWgAAVwEv.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	2288  

Old 10-21-2016, 09:56 AM   #7
Registered Member

Results are in guys. The overall best MPG winner was a Mazda 2, 1.6 litre diesel which got 91.37 UK MPG over the 406 miles driven. Sounds high, but due to the silly lab tests, only works out at 6.94% higher than the official fuel figures. 2nd place went to a Peugeot 208 diesel, which got a respectable 80.72 MPG.

Best improvement over the manufactures figures went to the Mustang, over the 430 mile journey, it managed 36.60 UK MPG, a massive 75.12% improvement over the official figures. 2nd place in this category went to a Honda CRV diesel, which got 62.77 MPG, pretty impressive for a family SUV!

The best % improvement for a van went to the Fiat Fiorino 1.3 diesel, which got an impressive 72.08 UK MPG over it's 388 trip, 12.28% higher than the number in the NEDC test cycle.

Strangely the Prius plug in did very well, and badly. It's stupidly overrated figure of 282 MPG would be hard to achieve, but it still managed 109 MPG overall, minus 173% difference of the rated number.

Other interesting results, Mazda MX5 managed 55 MPG, Mercedes Benz E220 AMG 60 MPG, New Kia Niro hybrid got 76.79 MPG.

Full results and PDF here: 2016 Results | MPG Marathon 2016