New personal best today - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

New personal best today

Just filled up this evening and got 51.958mpg out of my last tank. That is a couple mpg better than any I've ever gotten, but how do you guys get in the high 50's and low 60's with Civics? I am already doing EOC'ing, very limited idling, accelerating slowly, 50psi in the tires, driving the speed limit, etc... How can I do better? Maybe it's time to invest in a SG.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
Registered Member

I think a lot of it has to do with having older and lighter civics. Civics have been getting fatter since the late 80's. Mine weighs in at a little over 1800 lbs.

friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

Maybe, but there is a member on here that drives a 96 sedan and is getting 60+ mpg in it, and that thing is heavier than my hatch, I know.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
Registered Member

still 52 (essentially) is very good. im waiting to use soem fuel in my chevette to get a more accurate reading, i installed a manual choke this tank so we shall see what that does, so far its been good, gone over 100 miles and needle has just now come in contact to the F line....usually 80-90 it will come in contact...

same with my s-10, my old cap had been leakin (could smell gas fumes after i drove it commin outa the filler neck) so i put the non lockign stock cap back on with a non cracked gasket and no more fume smell and mpg may have improved, 140 miles and its not touching the F line yet lol
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with having older and lighter civics. Civics have been getting fatter since the late 80's. Mine weighs in at a little over 1800 lbs.
Tell me about it. I have an '02 Si weighs 2744....
Old 05-28-2008, 08:08 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96hb View Post
Just filled up this evening and got 51.958mpg out of my last tank. That is a couple mpg better than any I've ever gotten, but how do you guys get in the high 50's and low 60's with Civics? I am already doing EOC'ing, very limited idling, accelerating slowly, 50psi in the tires, driving the speed limit, etc... How can I do better? Maybe it's time to invest in a SG.
Nice job on the numbers!
Old 05-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #7
Registered Member

It's probably because you have a higher average speed than those who are getting higher mileage.

regards
gary
Old 05-29-2008, 04:03 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
It's probably because you have a higher average speed than those who are getting higher mileage.

regards
gary

That's possible, but like I said, most of my driving is city. And I know I haven't gotten above 50mph at all on this last tank. But maybe they are driving even slower?
Old 05-29-2008, 06:19 AM   #9
Registered Member

Great job! Breaking 50 is nothing to sneeze at.

Look into Pulse & Glide. That's where most of my gains are. Also, your tires are really hurting you. You don't have a scangauge? Get one. If you're getting 50's without, you'll do even better with one.

Look at my gaslog and note the tanks where I got the scangauge (jump) and where I started really using P&G (another jump).

My drive is about half 55-limit highway and half 45-limit city.

Oh, and this: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_110216/article.html
palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:27 AM   #10
Registered Member

Yeah I know my tires aren't the best, but I do have aftermarket rims, and low profile tires are just part of having that. I do like my car to look nice, and get the best mileage possible. So I am willing to sacrifice for that. At least these new tires I got are 195's. I did have 205's on there before, so these are more narrow.

I am looking into getting a SG pretty soon. I think I will be able to pick up a couple MPG's if I know exactly what my consumption is at all times and I will be able to fine tune my driving. Right now i'm just going by feel and my best guess. I also plan on replacing both O2 sensors because i'm sure these are the original units and they have over 188k miles on them. So it couldn't hurt, right.