New to the forum..92 Protege DX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

New to the forum..92 Protege DX

Just wanted to let you know about my beater car that gets me good gas mileage, and ask a few questions.

My car gets 41.96 MPG when driven carefully under 80% highway 20% stop and go.

Believe it or not, those numbers were with 2 quarts of lucas stabilizer and 2 quarts of Valvoline High Mileage oil.

The car burns oil at startup, so I suspect valve stem seals, but I dont have the time or money to fix it.

I have recently switched over to Castrol 10w 30 High Mileage oil and it seems to smoke the same or less now.

The air conditioning compressor locked up on me, so I can't use it

I am probably going to pop a new one up there because driving down the highway with my windows open is killing my gas mileage, but with 100 + degree summers, and close to 100% humidity, I can't get around it since I am forced to wear businesss casual.

I feel blessed that this forum does exist.

Any thoughts on my car and getting better gas mileage? FYI it is the 1.8 SOHC in this car.

Thanks

Thicker 2 row radiator, walmart hubcaps, Pepboys tires, 10w 30 Castrol HM, Jensen CD player, Roadmaster speakers, ebay hi-flow air filter, autolite 3924 plugs, stant superstat, NGK blue 8mm wires, LeBra car bra, no Exhaust Manifold heat shield, MX-3 Seats, bad A/C compressor
jj94auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:06 AM   #2
Registered Member

Welcome to GS

Hi -- Welcome to GasSavers

Tell us a little bit more about your Protege...is it the 5-speed, how many miles?

Also, what part of the world are you in? -- an approximate area is OK. (Sounds uncomfortable without the A/C).

I understand with the air, though -- windows down on the highway is bad aero, but the compressor uses up the fuel -- and business casual isn't very good soaked. Problem is, you'll probably see a decrease in economy if you replace the compressor, since it will probably be used in City driving.

But, there are ways to improve beyond your baseline, even with the A/C...

For basics, I recommend the stickies in the General Discussion forum to get started.

There's also a "Gas Mileage Contest" going on that has a good thread about some advanced technique and lessons learned.

If you have any questions, we're always here to help

Best FE,

RH77

Old 04-24-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

My wife had a '91 Protege. What a nice little sedan it was...

You are doing well with the mileage, it seems. Poke around here some and you will find some ways to do even better.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks all. I thought I posted that I was in the DC area. Whoops!

It is the 5 spd.

I am pretty crafty with mechanics and since gas has gotten more expensive over the years, I have learned to stop seeing how quickly I can go down the quarter mile and do something for my wallet.

Thanks for all the tips.

Thicker 2 row radiator, walmart hubcaps, Pepboys tires, 10w 30 Castrol HM, Jensen CD player, Roadmaster speakers, ebay hi-flow air filter, autolite 3924 plugs, stant superstat, NGK blue 8mm wires, LeBra car bra, no Exhaust Manifold heat shield, MX-3 Seats, bad A/C compressor
jj94auto is offline   Reply With Quote