New to this site, have a few questions. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2007, 08:58 AM   #11
Registered Member

Premium, unless called for (usually for higher compression engine or advanced timing), is actually harder to ignite (that is why high compression engines require it to fight detonation or pre-ignition). It does no good at all unless it is preventing detonation. Otherwise you want to run 87/89 octance (89 if you are getting some pinging under acceleration) to get complete "explosions". I know some will say different but that is the reasoning behind higher octane levels. Put in 87 octane and consider the savings added mpg$.

2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:06 AM   #12
FE nut

I need to clarify my earlier post. The only way that higher octane would improve your FE would be if your car has a knock sensor and is detecting detonation. As DarbyWalters mentioned, the only reason to use higher than 87(if that's what your car calls for) is if you have pinging on 87 in which case you likely have carbon deposits that need cleaning out.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:25 PM   #13

Save your money and just go with OEM plugs, jack up the air in the tires, switch to 0-20 synthetic oil AND.....drum roll please........GET A SCANGAUGE!

IMO opinion the Scangauge is the best mod you can do as it will help you modify the one thing that most people overlook when making mileage mods ---- The Driver. You'll become fixated on your mileage. Try it and see.

I also went with the racing disc caps on my old Metro, but some people are opinionated about how they look. I love them though, and my opinion is the only one that counts - just kidding.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #14
Supporting Member

Noob problem!

I decided to replace the spark plugs today (OEM as suggested), since the old ones were filthy, but after doing so, the car won't turn over.

I made a dummy move and didn't pay attention to which spark plug wires went where, so I have a feeling I have them in the wrong spot.

How do I check where they are supposed to go?

I doubled checked the gapping, and they are correct.

It's a 3cyl engine.

Thanks for all the other suggestions guys, I think I will pick up a scan gauge so I can fine tune my cars MPG.
jBubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:50 AM   #15
Supporting Member

O and BTW, yesterday I discovered my tired were horribly under inflated. one tire was at 18 psi, the others between 20 and 22.

Pumped my tired to 40 psi (tire says max should be 35psi) and will see how my MPG fairs.
jBubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:19 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to unstable bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBubb View Post
Noob problem!

I decided to replace the spark plugs today (OEM as suggested), since the old ones were filthy, but after doing so, the car won't turn over.

I made a dummy move and didn't pay attention to which spark plug wires went where, so I have a feeling I have them in the wrong spot.
Even if you installed the new spark plugs in your ears [ ] the car should still turn over. Spark plugs only fire the cylinder, not turn the engine over. Something in your starting circuit is amiss...[battery, starter, solenoid, cables, ignition switch, wiring, etc.]

www.unstablebobgable.com

1973 AMC AMX: The beauty
1987 Buick T-Type: The beast
2004 Cavalier: The MPG machine
unstable bob is offline   Reply With Quote