Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2005, 10:08 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
...more about H2o

RH77,
I can understand concerns about water. I too was concerned until I talked with my friend and master mechanic...he does it to all the 100% city driven patrol cars. He swore by it, then taught me by doing it with me how he does it...

My engine was always hot to where the cooling fan was on when I did it. I only used 20oz of water. I poured like I would pour cooking oil into my measuring cup when I mix batter for cake. Car will stumble, I'd give it gas to overcome, and continue pouring...
repeat until all water is used. Then, take a drive! My friend said its important to drive atleast five HARD highway miles afterward. By hard, I mean quick accelerating...

and since I love to hear ppl talking about conceivably controversial things: Read THis about Saturn owners doing it...

Old 11-22-2005, 04:36 AM   #12

Haha, some guy on that

Haha, some guy on that Saturn site says how this is like a blown headgasket cleaning out the cylinders - man when I pulled my head after blowing the gasket, everything in there was SUPER clean...I guess it's worth a shot then!

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:19 AM   #13
FE nut

For people with O2 sensors,

For people with O2 sensors, you may want to be careful. I've heard that excessive water has been known to make O2 sensors go bad. Anybody else hear this or am I losing it? ;-)

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:13 PM   #14
*shrug*

<a href=http://honda-acura.net/forums/showthread.php?t=86584 target=_blank>http://honda-acura.net/forums/showthread.php?t=86584</a>
<a href=http://honda-acura.net/forums/showthread.php?t=177208 target=_blank>http://honda-acura.net/forums/showthread.php?t=177208</a>

Enjoy folks.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:54 PM   #15
Registered Member

Bored, so...

I'm home this week (no travel for work) so I'm off to the parts store to try the Seafoam tomorrow. I think I'll go straight for the brake booster line into the intake with a funnel. I tried some water through the booster line tonight and went out to the highway for some redline runs, and it seems to run smooth with less valve clatter. I'll report the Seafoam hopefully tomorrow. I don't think I'll pour anything but oil into the crankcase, though.

RH77
Old 11-23-2005, 01:22 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
Hey, just make sure you do

Hey, just make sure you do the seafoam DOWNWIND. The amount of smoke that you will encounter will scare you. ...and the neighbors might give ya some attention you wern't asking for too...well, mine do. :P
Old 11-23-2005, 08:15 AM   #17

Yes, take heed to the smoke

Yes, take heed to the smoke warning.

I want to say that Seafoam says it's 100% safe for the crankcase, I think it's mostly or all petrolium based.

I think I'm going to try the 20 oz. of water sometime soon...just pouring it onto the throttle plate slowly.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:51 PM   #18
Registered Member

Ssssssssssmokin!

Well, luckily the weather's nice today so, I was able to do this outside. The Seafoam worked as expected with lots of smoke, but I guess that means it's clearing the carbon out. I dumped some into the brake booster line a little at a time and it stalled. From the label, it said to let it sit 5 minutes, so I let it sit and came back, started it up (took a few cranks) -- I then went out onto the highway and opened it up -- more white smoke; plenty of redline run-ups and now it purrs at idle and the valve clatter is gone. I assume that it'll continue to work away at the carbon over the next week or so. The exhaust tip was really black, so there's another sign of carbon gone.

The car did throw a Check Engine Code of P0500 "Vehicle Speed Sensor". The engine idled cyclically from 1000-3000 with the brake booster line off, so I guess that's the reason. I'll reset the code and see what happens.

It was kinda embarrassing driving around the neighborhood looking like I was burning oil, but I guess that's the price for a clean machine. I'll tell the neighbor then everyone will know what's going on ;-)

RH77
Old 11-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #19
Registered Member

BUMP!

it's been a while, so can anyone attest to the legitimacy of seafoam? i'm still having some performance issues so i was thinking of giving it a try.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #20
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

I've never used SeaFoam, but I have been pleased with BG 44k.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote