Shell's Nitrogen Enhanced Gasoline. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #11

Sounds like it's the detergent package that is 'nitrogen enriched', whatever that means. Nitrogen is a known ingredient in fuel detergents.

markweatherill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:50 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalb1 View Post
Also it is a great point made that if it does improve FE then they would of course want to mention it. So it doesn't seem too promising from a FE perspective.
false advertising suit liability could be a concern. the real question might be IF it truly keeps engines cleaner, it would not necessarily increase FE, but could it slow the negative affects of a dirty engine and related FE loss?

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:44 AM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

Personally I always thought ethanol did a pretty good job keeping fuel systems clean. Years ago in my area 7-11 was the only place that carried ethanol fuel. It was pretty much common knowledge that if you bought a new car and ran it on 7-11 gas from day one you wouldn't have problems, but if you switched to 7-11 gas after the car was a few years old it would unleash all sorts of gunk in your fuel system at once.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:42 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Personally I always thought ethanol did a pretty good job keeping fuel systems clean.
It does, and we have 10% of it in the "winter gas" here, and it takes a toll on everyone's gas mileage......along with the cold weather. But don't forget, that we have unleaded gas and that burns a lot cleaner than the leaded variety of years past anyway. Also we have the federally mandated detergent packages that everyone ads to their fuel.

If we had Shell here I would try it just to see what it does (if anything) to my fuel economy. Just because I am curious.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
GasUser brings up an interesting point and it makes me wonder if the change in mileage because of the winter blend isn't actually because of the blend itself but weather changes... hmm.

Time to start data logging again!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
GasUser brings up an interesting point and it makes me wonder if the change in mileage because of the winter blend isn't actually because of the blend itself but weather changes... hmm.

Time to start data logging again!
No need to datalog unless you want to get specifics with your car. Ethanol content in gasoline should always effect gas mileage. Some more obvious than others. (IE BIG SUV compared to a Civic/Metro) This is why some have always been skeptical of using ethanol as a bio fuel as it doesn't produce as much energy compared to fossil fuels. The EPA does have separate MPG Ratings these Flex Fuel Vehicles (Approx 30% less) http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byfueltype.htm

Now with 10% ethanol in gas. The difference won't be as drastic but they should still be there.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #17
Registered Member

lol i always loved the shell commercials, they always show a gunky valve that looks mysteriously like a used valve with black cornflakes stuck to it... heck even the valves i pulled outa my Model A engine thats been sitting for 50+ years wasnt anywhere near that bad....(mind you thats before the dawn of detergent oils and filters)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
lol i always loved the shell commercials, they always show a gunky valve that looks mysteriously like a used valve with black cornflakes stuck to it... heck even the valves i pulled outa my Model A engine thats been sitting for 50+ years wasnt anywhere near that bad....(mind you thats before the dawn of detergent oils and filters)
ShamWOW!!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalb1 View Post
ShamWOW!!!!
"...we can't do this all day!"

but they can do it EVERYDAY!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #20
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
it was my understanding that nitrogen is largely inert. perhaps it expands more than other things in the combustion chamber?

its the n2o that we want