small car worries? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2006, 10:10 PM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
200000 < 3000

Sad but true fact, people dont mind death when it happens slowly, and not publicized.

Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:11 PM   #22
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
The IIHS has stats on what vehicles tend to kill their drivers (in Status Report 40-3). It's not as simple as bigger=safer. Smaller cars often are safer in real life, probably because drivers are the most important safety feature of any car.

After I got rear-ended in my Accord, I really wanted a Crown Vic something huge like that (I've never felt comfortable in trucks/SUVs, even my F250). But it went away in a few weeks and I was back to liking small cars.

People probably care too little about traffic deaths. It's been five years since the retina-searing horror of almost 3000 dead, but nobody much cares about the daily traffic reports adding up to 200000+ dead since then. We could do a lot to stop it, too... but it's not a big priority. The best way to avoid it is to drive less, and if you do drive carefully... single-vehicle crashes are still the biggest killer.

I've made this exact point to people before and they didn't believe me.

I had a co-worker once tell me that she believed that more people die every year because of plane crashes in America than car accidents in America.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:26 PM   #23
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
numb

People just get numb to facts, until it happens directly to them. It happend to my classmates mother, since then, that section of interstate has seen massive changes...now it has a median fence where there previously wasn't one and a driver came careening from the oppposite traveling lane striking them.
Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:17 AM   #24
Supporting Member

Part of my commute is the 710 south freeway in the morning. I am being passed and surrounded by Semis on the way to the port at Long Beach. If I had a CRX I think I would feel OK, but I don't think I would feel safe in an Insight because I think I would need that little bit more "umph" under the pedal.

I will always prefer small cars, but I remember something I saw one day. An SUV had hit a Nissan 240SX. It had gone over the front drivers wheel and crushed it's way into the driver's side. The cops had covered the victim with a sheet. It was obvious that the SUV's tall bumper was the reason that the person was killed.

I'm sticking with small cars, but my safety is 90% in my hands, and the rest is out of my control.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote