smooth wheels/hub caps = MPG increase? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Yeah I thought about using some clear stretch wrap using in shipping over my white "mag" plastic wheel covers but if they ripped loose at high speed it could take the cap with them. But it would keep the appearence of the mags that I like and keep them cleaner maybe - there was a lot of brake dust in the hubcaps when I pulled one off in front.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
Yeah I thought about using some clear stretch wrap using in shipping over my white "mag" plastic wheel covers but if they ripped loose at high speed it could take the cap with them. But it would keep the appearence of the mags that I like and keep them cleaner maybe - there was a lot of brake dust in the hubcaps when I pulled one off in front.
Well, so far so good, been about a week and a half and 160 miles over all with the covers and they have not torn away. With some rain driving also at 60-65 express way driving. To be truthful I'm surprised they have lasted as long as they have. As to plastic hub caps, no idea, I would be worried about the abhisive pulling off the finish. I know there is a warning about not using them on laminets.

OokiiMamoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:00 PM   #23
Registered Member

I found these at JC Whitney. they are smoother than my old ones. even I will admit it was more for looks than FE on this one but they look good and they are on sale

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Wheel-Cover...3847_10101.jcw

and they come in different sizes

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:01 AM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I almost bought a set that I suspect are aerodynamically similar (though aesthetically different) at WalMart for $15 but they are directional, and not mirrored -- so the slats point forward on one side of the car and backward on the other side. I decided that was not going to be so great.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #25
Registered Member

Well put them on today and took a wet ride out to the Cape and back with 4 adults in the xB - hard to say if the mileage increased with the wheel covers or not but I got 41 average for the 142 mile trip in rain and headwinds going there and got some very good >50mpg coming back from Tiverton even pushing it hard when I took off which would usually lower my mileage to the mid 40's for that 19 mile trip. There may be a slight vibration from the covers as they may not be perfectly balanced but not so much that you would notice. Need more trips alone in good weather to see how much it improves mileage. They look great and have an excelent spun stainless steel finish.

Attachment 1351

Attachment 1352
Top view of left front wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image205.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image206.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1157  
Old 06-15-2008, 07:28 PM   #26
Registered Member

what did they run you? even if you don't get a huge increase, I think they look sweet. are they the pop on or screw on?

they make your ride look real smooth and clean.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:08 AM   #27
Registered Member

Thanks to Loopie !!! - they are the

http://www.autoenhance.com/trimr.html

The stainless steel choice here in Newport is a good idea because of the salt spray that floats around in the air on foggy humid days. They just snap on and should just pop off with a good pull along the edge with some carefully placed fingers . . . I hope but I haven't tried to take them off yet. I hit the sidewalls with Armorall foaming tire cleaner and it also cleaned up the finger printes on the covers at the same time but as anyone knows with that stuff - a run in the rain washes it all off. Price was $69 plus shipping - not exactally sure because they were a GIFT!! YEAH !! The best kind of car accessory!
Old 06-17-2008, 03:57 AM   #28
Registered Member

they are really nice looking. did you have to drill the hole for the valve stem?

I have seen them for $99 a set which I thought was a little high. I got some plastic caps which aren't completely smooth but they seem to do alright.

my wife has been looking for a gift for my birthday too. not sure what to tell her. she got on this web site and saw fender skirts. I am glad she talked to me about them because she was going to get me a set of mud flaps (that is what she thought fender skirts were).

as far as gifts go, I think those wheel covers was a good one.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:26 AM   #29
Registered Member

OOPS - been working like crazy for the lasta few months - only added gas twice $25 each time since May25 but it looks like I get a couple more MPG with the racing disks. I do notice that coasting north on RT24 in Portsmouth down the hill that I pretty much maintain 50-55mph for most of the way now when before I would slow down about 5mph. Still haven't had a trip on the highway alone in good weather yet with the Racing Disks so until I get out to the Cape I will not know the highway impact but I am pretty sure it will be better that it was. One thing for sure they clean up a lot easier than the factory mag wheel covers.

They cover the valve stem since I had short stems on the rims - the stems do not extend past the lip of the rim.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:58 AM   #30
Registered Member

Have to be a bit more careful with lighter tires. Since they're the same size, the weight has to come out somewhere. That means thinner sidewalls, fewer/thinner plies under the tread, less tread to touch the road, etc. Especially if you put 50 psi in them. Yikes.

KU40 is offline   Reply With Quote