Switched to Mobil1 0w30 today - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2008, 12:24 PM   #11
Registered Member

I just saw the 0W-30 today for the first time. Interesting idea. I couldn't remember whether it was thicker oil in the summer or winter so went with the 'Horse Power' brand 5W-30 full synthetic instead. Plus I couldn't believe Mobil 1 was $26 in Walmart and the Horse Power was only $21. I as in Germany all summer but in the spring I recall Mobil 1 being $21 I thought. I thought it very strange, because synthetic oil shouldn't be affected by oil prices and in fact dino oil looked even cheaper than I remembered (but probably wasn't).

I prefer running synthetic, but didn't want to run the Walmart brand sythetic, figured I'd see if I liked Horse Power just as much. I got the Torque Power for the Festiva, I figured it's more of a truck anyway :-), it sounded like it had more high temp additives and stuff to prevent dirt and wear and 'last' longer. I figured maybe it'd be a bit better for on and off EOC and higher engine temps with grill block.

itjstagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
...I've opted for the Mobil1 0w30...
did you get the one with the pretty new green label and cap? the one that says ADVANCED fuel economy? and the one that has an estimated fuel savings chart on the back?

i haven't seen it.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I get the Mobile 1 AFE only because it's $5 cheaper for a 5 quart jug than the regular stuff.

I ragged on my car this morning before it totally warmed up and it sounded very loose and nasty. Pulled awesome but sounded kinda gross. I think I'll go with 5w-20 or 0w-30 next time. I say 0w-30 because it'll have a steeper ramp up with temperature, and I shouldn't be beating on it cold anyways.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by itjstagame View Post
I thought it very strange, because synthetic oil shouldn't be affected by oil prices
AFAIK, most modern "synthetics" are made from dinosaur juice, just highly refined, and few lab-made synthetics are on the market now. (Here's where the Amsoil brigade chimes in...)

Quote:
figured I'd see if I liked Horse Power just as much. I got the Torque Power for the Festiva
Aren't those both Quaker State brand products?
Old 10-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #15
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
did you get the one with the pretty new green label and cap? the one that says ADVANCED fuel economy? and the one that has an estimated fuel savings chart on the back?

i haven't seen it.
I don't know... I paid someone else to change it...

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't know... I paid someone else to change it...
well, it seems they're jumping on the "green" bandwagon. a new look w/ green label, FE claims, and a fancy chart may produce some sales?
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to jeep45238
From Mobil 1's own website:

What is Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy?
Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy oils are fully synthetic motor oils engineered to deliver outstanding engine protection and provide improved fuel economy. The low friction formulations increase engine efficiency and fuel economy. Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy oils outperform conventional oils and meet or exceed the latest industry standards.
Haven’t you been offering Mobil 1 0W-20 and Mobil 1 0W-30 already? What’s different about Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy?
They are the same formulations as the products marketed prior to 2008. As the importance of fuel economy has increased, we felt it was important to communicate to consumers which products in the Mobil 1 family offer the greatest potential for improved fuel economy. Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy oils are engineered to deliver outstanding engine protection while improving fuel economy.

jeep45238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
If I remember correctly, the chart on the back says it should save you 441$ in fuel savings over the estimated lifespan of your vehicle. I think that number is crap though, becuase it should vary greatly between makes and models, and some cars last forever compared to others. A metro would notice alot more than a H2 Hummer...
Old 10-29-2008, 05:39 PM   #19
Site Team / Moderator

But the H2 Hummer would have a longer lifespan than a metro offering more time to save fuel at a lower rate.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to jeep45238
Quote:
But the H2 Hummer would have a longer lifespan than a metro offering more time to save fuel at a lower rate.

-Jay
Completely depends on who is driving and how the vehicle is maintained. Although around here it's next to impossible to find metro lower ball joints.

jeep45238 is offline   Reply With Quote