Testing on hold anouncement (mower fuel experiment) - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2006, 06:37 AM   #11
*shrug*

Quote:Would my '97 Civic DX

Quote:
Would my '97 Civic DX have had the D-Series?
Yep.

The issue here when talking about NG is that that 96-00 Civic GX has a d16b5 motor in it, which is basically exactly the d1675 vtec-e motor but with a fugly intake manifold to allow it to run on NG and some high compression pistons.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:57 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
citgo vs shell today!

I went and sourced the fuel. I was told by the attendant that Citgo is the exact same fuel as Sunoco!? I'm not so sure I believe him, but thats what he said.
So I am running warm-up right now. And I thought I would sneak Acetone into the test somehow?
Not sure how to accurately go about doing that?

Results of shell VS citgo to arrive in maybe four hours...

Old 03-29-2006, 05:32 PM   #13
Registered Member

geez!

This South Carolina article makes me want to test Havoline Oil and STP oil treatment!

If anyone comes up with these "longevity" type articles, I'd love to read them! PM me them.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:21 AM   #14
Registered Member

changed my mind or decided whichever

Today,
I'll do alternating lone marathon to isopropyl runs x3
...then I'll run the marathon and Ethos FR x4

And I'd still would like to test E85 so maybe tommorow I'll head out and get some.

~Will

P.S. ~ The isopropyl alcohol is not mixing with the gasoline like I thought it would...shaking it up even does not mix it...strange
Old 04-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #15
Registered Member

Ethos FR is powerful!!

Well I just got back from the library.

The Ethos FR I tested today concerned me, and I did not even complete its test session.

I was TOLD by my citys small engine shop that the way MY mower was governed was by limiting airflow in some way. Today, I found out, they were wrong.

Turns out, my mower has a centrifically activated ignition cutoff. If my mower for some reason REVS too high, a switch gets thrown at anything higher than 3,454RPMS - a centrifical switch controls the ignition on my mower.

I say I WAS concerned, yes. I began testing Ethos tonight and the mower sounded good. Second run, good. Third run, bad (but not really) The RPM's of the mower were fluctuating. They would go higher than I've ever heard them, then they would fall, like it was sputtering and about to stall out....
I was ignorant. I didnt' know the additive had caused the mower such extreme RPM increase. I turned the mower off during the first five minutes of the third run with Ethos.
So yeah, the mowers RPMS increased ABOVE 3,454rpm and then it cut ignition. As RPMS fell, the centrifical switch clicked back and connected the ignition circuit to continue running.

I was pretty concerned there for a moment. I drained all the Ethos added fuel out and put it aside thinking it really messed up the mower. After walking back from the library, I now know better.

Anyway, I have some company so I will post the results thus far in a couple hours. But I do plan on finishing up with the Ethos. I still have enough for a fair third and forth run.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:38 PM   #16
Registered Member

grrr

Call me paranoid and skeptical. I aquired more info today that makes me not want to give credit to Ethos FR for the increased run times.

I've been talking to my small engine shop here today (they been crazy busy so it friggin took all day to get some free answers)

They said that there are two gaskets that are more likely causing the surging that I am experiancing testing the Ethos FR. They said they are both prone to fail, and said its totally coincidental that they failed during this ethos run.

The solution is to replace these gaskets to delete this possibility completely. hoping this does not discount any futher testing times.

Oh yeah, and something else happened after this additive test = [IMG]http://images6.theimagehosting.com/CrackedTha****Up.th.jpg[/IMG]

Yeah, the ethos is supposed to have esters in it that makes gaskets tighter (which means it makes them swell) and the plunger in my gradiated cylinder friggin swelled last night cracking the polycarbonate cylinder part !!! WTF?!? so that part of the ethos works ****ing good.

Anyway, I'll rip into the mower tommorow. I aquired another graduated cylinder today...
Old 04-12-2006, 09:30 AM   #17
Registered Member

Mower's fixed

Turns out the intake gasket cracked. I replaced it today. Runs like a champ now.

I had to undue the Throttle zip tie to get at it tho...I may have to fiddle with that when I start testing again so I can get similar run times.

I hate to say it...but this may be the end of this rounds testing. I may not be able to get the mower to achieve similar run times now that this new gasket is sealing perfectly.

Yeah I kinda do have a reason for saying this: I ran 200ml's through it cold after the fix just to see...

Its raining here so I ran it on the smooth garage floor. The blade is noticibly closer to the ground there. I used leftover Speedway fuel.
-Run Length = 16:33.56 OR 996.56sec
-58°F
-29.95 inches pressure
-77% humidity
-no wind
-DID NOT cover the fuel funnel.

Thats like 33% worse, lol. Oh well, not like its a fair comparison test or anything...
Old 04-15-2006, 07:48 AM   #18
Registered Member

Anouncement - END OF TESTING

I was trying to get similer run times this morning and I just couldn't. Yes the weather is different, but the times are waay waay different. Mower does NOT sound the same. So whatever, I will buy a new carburetor for it today and see if then I get the old times back but theres something else: I am going to have real Easter bunnies it seems.

This is crazy. Unbeknownst to me within the last I'd say 6 days, 12ft away from the test mower has been a bunny nest. I have a strawberry patch and momma bunny dug a hole right in the middle of it and popped her kids out. I checked on them and they have their eyes open 3/4 of the way, lots of fur, palm sized...ready to start roaming the yard within days!
Quote:
Their eyes open in 10 days, and in three to four weeks they are weaned. At this age, they may explore the world outside of the nest but return there to sleep. They are not ignored by the mother but stay with the family group until four or five weeks of age.
So as long as the mower noise scares the kids away for the day, I guess I can test. Hate to suck them up into the 18" blade, that will ruin my test duration time! j/k }
Theres about six of them cuddling in the nest, and in my front yard I have baby squirrels that will be showing themselves any day here.
While the rest of the country's been getting burned up and thrown about by fire and tornadoes...its been eerily calm here which has helped the wildlife flourish this early spring.

Anyway, I'm done with this till 4/21/06
Gonna find out if I can these run times back. If not, phase two will start.