The Honda Fit - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2006, 04:17 PM   #41
Registered Member

$17k will be too much. If

$17k will be too much. If they sell it for 15k it will go fast.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:19 PM   #42
*shrug*

17k will not be too much,

17k will not be too much, that's less than some civics, and less than ****ty automatic nissans, also.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:52 PM   #43
Registered Member

still less than the prius or

still less than the prius or the HCH, like compaq said it better have an EV mode or this thing is toast.

It would be cool if honda made it pluggable from the start just to top of the battery every morning or so and act like a block heater!

DO IT HONDA!!!!!!!!!!!!! show the world what your capable of!

hybridcars.com there was an article about honda confessing about making a fit hybrid for 07.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:52 PM   #44
Registered Member

Re: 17k will not be too much,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
and less than ****ty automatic nissans, also.
ouch

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:56 PM   #45
Registered Member

I like the Yaris, but the

I like the Yaris, but the Fit's got better safety standard. They make SUVs so the bumpers line up exactly with your head. Next car I get will have modern side-impact protection. That or a really dark tint and a helmet. :P

The Fit's a bit too brick-shaped to get really good mileage, no matter the plant. But it is due for a refresh (we got it really late in the cycle). I don't think it's too heavy for the Insight's engine... it just needs more electric power. Like what they did for the Civic's motor, but one less cylinder. Though I hope they don't require the CVT... Honda makes sweet manuals.

Still, it seems fanciful. I'll believe it when I see it.
GasSavers_Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:58 AM   #46
Registered Member

yeah i perfer the rock solid

yeah i perfer the rock solid manual with nice gear ratios, (for efficency that is) maybe heck a gear exclusively for EV! that would be hella tight, and in rush hour you can have the car creep like a torque converter would!

one can dream one can dream.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:12 PM   #47
*shrug*

Quote:One note, the Fit is

Quote:
One note, the Fit is being tested using the newest SAE standard (sorry, can't remember the number) and almost nobody is testing using this standard yet. It is a lot more stringent than the test being used by most other auto companies, and even Honda on the other models. (Also explains why the HP numbers are lower than expected) One of the parts that makes it more stringent, is that the engine has to be tested with the A/C compressor connected. (the previous test did not enforce this if there was a model that was available without it) Also, the car has to be tested with the octane rating of fuel called for as per the owners manual. Before, if they got better mileage withg 91 octane, they would use that, even though the car calls for 87, plus many other numerous differences.

This was all explained to us (dealer techs) at a recent "Arrive and Drive" for the Fit.

Yes, the Fit gets the same rating as the Civic, but the Fit will get better mileage in real world use.
H-T'ing it.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:16 PM   #48
Driving on E

Re: Quote:One note, the Fit is

Quote:
Quote:
One note, the Fit is being tested using the newest SAE standard (sorry, can't remember the number) and almost nobody is testing using this standard yet. It is a lot more stringent than the test being used by most other auto companies, and even Honda on the other models. (Also explains why the HP numbers are lower than expected) One of the parts that makes it more stringent, is that the engine has to be tested with the A/C compressor connected. (the previous test did not enforce this if there was a model that was available without it) Also, the car has to be tested with the octane rating of fuel called for as per the owners manual. Before, if they got better mileage withg 91 octane, they would use that, even though the car calls for 87, plus many other numerous differences.

This was all explained to us (dealer techs) at a recent "Arrive and Drive" for the Fit.

Yes, the Fit gets the same rating as the Civic, but the Fit will get better mileage in real world use.
H-T'ing it.
Which means that if the Yaris is using the old EPA system the Fit actually will get BETTER gas mileage than the Yaris.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:20 PM   #49
Registered Member

Re: Ka pow:

Quote:
Ka pow: http://www.autoblog.com/2006/05/06/2008-honda-fit-hybrid-to-get-insight-engine/
Bickety-Bam! Man, if they put the Insight engine/drivetrain in the Fit, despite its Dorkmobile-ness, sign me up. That is ONLY if it comes in a manual like the Insight -- my next car HAS to be manual. I'm actually excited to see what develops here...
Old 05-11-2006, 06:44 PM   #50
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Quote:A hybrid with an EPA

Quote:
A hybrid with an EPA average of 70 mpg?

(Or is that asking too much of the North American power-hungry mindset?)
With good aerodynamics, you could get that fuel economy AND have high horsepower.

I've always fancied the idea of a midsize car with a 60 horsepower 800cc turbodiesel, a 3kWh NiMH battery pack, and a 200 horsepower electric motor/controller combo. Don't load it up with TVs and onstar and all that other useless crap to keep the weight around 2,800 pounds, without need for fancy composites. Design for a .18 drag coefficient and 22 square foot frontal area.

Such a car would get 90 mpg, seat 5 adults in the 6'4" 230 pound size range comfortably, accelerate from 0-60 mph in 6 seconds, top 170 mph, and would have more interior/storage room than a Dodge Intrepid. It could realistically be sold at a profit for $20,000.

But since the auto industry wants to slowly ration out advancements to maximize profit on each incremental gain, we can't buy such a car. They'd rather sell such a thing 50 years from now and slowly shell out everything in-between. Even the hybrids on the market today are using technology that's 60 years old, first used in 40s era diesel locomotives, and have just now surpassed the aerodynamic cleanliness of the lowest drag cars from the 1920s. Compare the .26 drag coefficient of the gen II Prius with the .27 drag coefficient of the 1921 Rumpler. The Prius is the most aerodynamic midsize car sold today in the U.S. It has yet to catch up to the 1935 Tatra T77a full size luxury car with a .21 drag coefficient or the 1953 Alfa Romeo BAT7 with a .19 drag coefficient. The most aerodynamic concept cars that could comfortably seat 5 adults have had Cd figures as low as .14!

The Prius' fuel economy is mostly from its clean aerodynamics. The hybrid drive would really only improve the fuel economy of a car by about 20% if the performance figures and everything else are kept constant. Shrinking from a 300 horsepower V8 to a 180 horsepower V6 also only improves fuel economy about 10%, same for shrinking from a 180 horsepower V6 to a 120 horsepower L4.

Realistically, without making our cars smaller, without reducing horsepower, with no new hybrid drives or fancy engine technology, we could have a corporate average fuel economy of 40+ mpg immediately.

But the auto industry has money on their mind, not delivering the best product they can. Cutting the Cd of today's midsize cars from .32 to .18 would increase highway fuel economy roughly 60% and city fuel economy about 10% with no other modifications, and due to elongating the vehicle to allow a longer taper, it would increase storage space and interior room. Low rolling resistance tires would increase city fuel economy about 10% and highway fuel economy about 3%. Synthetic transmission oil would show gains of around 2%.

There is so much that can be done to increase fuel efficiency without anyone having to sacrifice a goddamned thing, except for the automakers who would actually have to innovate for a change...

We should have 160-180 horsepower V6 cars that get 50 mph highway and 30 city, and 35 mpg combined V8 musclecars. We could have 80 mpg midsize diesel cars that do 0-60 mph in 8 seconds and top out at 140, or 90 mpg hybrid diesel cars that do 0-60 mph in 6 seconds. Possible through better aerodynamics.

The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote