Anyone experiment with high flow mufflers? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-06-2007, 04:48 AM   #21
Registered Member
 
ZugyNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 587
Country: United States
Looks like it is a filter of some kind...so maybe the restricted exhaust is what increases the mpg. Wondering about the eventual need to clean it though.

"An additional key indicator that there is a net improvement in VE with the Blade is the fact that the throttle position (TP) angle is 10% higher than it is without the Blade at the same engine speed. The TP increase signifies a decrease in “pumping loss”, which means that there is less effort required for the piston to pull air into the combustion chamber. The reduced pumping loss is attributed to the Blade’s effect of reducing space between the exhaust pulses. Normally, a degree of “backsliding”, exhaust being pulled back into the combustion chamber during “induction”, occurs. The Blade's affect reduces the space between exhaust pulses. This results in less “backsliding”. Less backsliding increases the amount of clean air into the combustion chamber thus increasing Volumetric Efficiency. There is a direct correlation between reduced pumping loss and increased engine efficiency."

So you either reduce backpressure (spiral core) or you increase it (filter or valve)....

So take a tin can...put a hole in it smaller than your tail pipe...clamp it solidly on the exhaust and go test it?

For instance...a 60 HP engine only needs ~ a 1.1" ID exhaust...believe it or not.

60HP (at the crank) per square inch of (cross-sectional) flow area needed

PI*r2

Got 90 HP? Need 1.5 square inch flow area or 1.4" ID?

Hope I got this right....
__________________

__________________
Leading the perpetually ignorant and uninformed into the light of scientific knowledge. Did I really say that?

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:35 AM   #22
Registered Member
 
ZugyNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 587
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by slurp812 View Post
I had nothing but a fiberglass filled exhaust tip and a cat on a 3L V6 and it was the best sound I've heard on a car I've owned. Much better than a glasspack muffler. Problem is it rusted out after 3 yrs or so.
__________________

__________________
Leading the perpetually ignorant and uninformed into the light of scientific knowledge. Did I really say that?

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:44 AM   #23
Registered Member
 
trebuchet03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 812
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
I wouldn't go as far as to say it's valid if they're comparing a car w/ 40k miles on it and who knows what in/on the crankcase/gearbox/wheels to whatever the EPA used to test. Weren't these the guys who said driving around at different dates/times in one of the most traffic ridden areas in CA was a legit version of the EPA test? I smell bull...
Iono, can you link us up to the traffic thing? That would be pretty bad

According to the company they used (http://www.automotivetesting.com/home.htm), they are a CARB certified (or whatever the term is) facility - and the EPA lists them as a suitable facility...

A second (and even third) test would be nice... but looks like we'll have to wait at least a year for that.

One thing they have going for them... I don't see any testimonials on their website... A bonus... It also looks like this originates from out of the country (Brazil?) with a spin off in the US...
__________________
Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.


Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:51 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
CoyoteX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 230
Country: United States
Location: Southern WV
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugyNA View Post
So take a tin can...put a hole in it smaller than your tail pipe...clamp it solidly on the exhaust and go test it?
I tried this with my Camaro. I made some covers that went over the square exhaust tips with a 1 inch hole in them. The car normally has a very horrible idle and you can't stand near the back of the car because of the fumes but with those covers on it was a lot better. It has a camshaft with 110 degree lobe separation so it dumps a lot of unburned gas out the exhaust at idle because of the overlap. They got blown off the exhaust when I started driving it though so I have no idea if they helped mileage or not. I kept meaning to make another set and clamp them on a lot tighter but I haven't drove that car much lately and kind of forgot about it.

I do think that reducting the exhaust flow will help mileage on the low end and probably kill your power and mileage on the top end. Even a car with a mild cam still has some overlap so it is possible to pull some of the intake charge out the exhaust without using it for the combustion if the exhaust has good velocity. Also by restricting the exhaust you are keeping the cylinder from getting rid of all the exhaust and some of it remains in the cylinder so it is kind of like what the egr does and might help reduce pumping losses that way.
CoyoteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:49 AM   #25
Supporting Member
 
cfg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,779
Country: United States
Coyote X -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote X View Post
I tried this with my Camaro. I made some covers that went over the square exhaust tips with a 1 inch hole in them. The car normally has a very horrible idle and you can't stand near the back of the car because of the fumes but with those covers on it was a lot better. It has a camshaft with 110 degree lobe separation so it dumps a lot of unburned gas out the exhaust at idle because of the overlap. They got blown off the exhaust when I started driving it though so I have no idea if they helped mileage or not. I kept meaning to make another set and clamp them on a lot tighter but I haven't drove that car much lately and kind of forgot about it.

I do think that reducting the exhaust flow will help mileage on the low end and probably kill your power and mileage on the top end. Even a car with a mild cam still has some overlap so it is possible to pull some of the intake charge out the exhaust without using it for the combustion if the exhaust has good velocity. Also by restricting the exhaust you are keeping the cylinder from getting rid of all the exhaust and some of it remains in the cylinder so it is kind of like what the egr does and might help reduce pumping losses that way.
That's what this thread made me think of doing. You could have different sized openings for testing.

Ha ha, now I am thinking of using cookie press patterns :

Attachment 1035

Do you think these metal (tin? aluminum?) patterns would hold up to the exhaust heat?

Maybe I could use the X-Mas tree pattern for December, .

CarloSW2
Attached Images
 
__________________
Old School SW2 EPA ... New School Civic EPA :

What's your EPA MPG? http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #26
Registered Member
 
omgwtfbyobbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,516
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Iono, can you link us up to the traffic thing? That would be pretty bad
Ecocleanfuel! The wave of the future. Because driving around city streets at different times/days is a very valid test technique.

Does this sound familiar?
Quote:
This product is a proven fuel saver for Gasoline and Diesel engines while simultaneously reducing tail pipe emissions. Third party independent testing in strict accordance with the SAE TYPE II J1321, EPA 511 (including FTT75), CFR 86 and California Title test protocols for fuel savings and emissions to EPA and CARB standards.
And here's(Dead link, just google the second paragraph for other similar claims for similar websites, or go to ecocleanfuel.org which is redirected to eyicom.com) a write up on the test.
Quote:
The vehicles are run over the course at the same time with the drivers endeavoring to remain in sight of one another and to start and stop the vehicles simultaneously.
Quote:
During the test, ATDS drivers drove both cars over a real-world road route in the Ontario, CA. area of approximately 54 miles in length. Depending upon traffic conditions the vehicles were able to complete either 2 or 3 laps prior to returning to ATDS for fuel measurement and refill.
Unless on a dyno and involves a strict driving schedule, or on a closed test track at some cruising speed, I'm not very inclined to accept the validity of any of these tests.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaTwo
I think if i could get that type of FE i would have no problem driving a dildo shaped car.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:28 PM   #27
Registered Member
 
trebuchet03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 812
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
Ecocleanfuel! The wave of the future. Because driving around city streets at different times/days is a very valid test technique.

...


Unless on a dyno and involves a strict driving schedule, or on a closed test track at some cruising speed, I'm not very inclined to accept the validity of any of these tests.
Yeah... that's pretty bad... But it would seem to be a different company all together. We could contact the testing facility to be sure (the stuff in that thread doesn't seem to provide who the "Third party independent" tester was)...
__________________
Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.


Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:44 PM   #28
Registered Member
 
omgwtfbyobbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,516
Country: United States
Different company, same tester, kinda suspicious imo. Could be the same group coordinating this stuff, but who knows?

P.S. It helps with erectile dysfunction and baldness too!
*looks for pic of monkey from idiocracy*
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaTwo
I think if i could get that type of FE i would have no problem driving a dildo shaped car.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:17 PM   #29
Supporting Member
 
cfg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,779
Country: United States
omgwtfbyobbq -

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
Different company, same tester, kinda suspicious imo. Could be the same group coordinating this stuff, but who knows?

P.S. It helps with erectile dysfunction and baldness too!
*looks for pic of monkey from idiocracy*
Yes, for the Vornado (and fuel magnet?) style gizmos, I seem to remember that there was a person in Northern California that ran a public utilities truck fleet. This manager was named more than once for more than one MPG product.

Oh well,

CarloSW2
__________________
Old School SW2 EPA ... New School Civic EPA :

What's your EPA MPG? http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #30
Registered Member
 
trebuchet03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 812
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
Different company, same tester, kinda suspicious imo. Could be the same group coordinating this stuff, but who knows?

P.S. It helps with erectile dysfunction and baldness too!
*looks for pic of monkey from idiocracy*
I totally missed the second page of that thread! Sorry about that - that's where all the juicy bits were. Not only suspicious, but total destruction of that facility's credit.

Bugger for them.... In any case, extra back pressure may still be a good experiment to explore (the dough extrusion thingers look pretty cool)
__________________

__________________
Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.


Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Incorrect mileage calculation? tonedepear Fuelly Web Support and Community News 6 04-04-2011 01:04 AM
Fuelly Android App - eehokie Fuelly Web Support and Community News 2 07-14-2010 09:59 PM
"The End of Suburbia" video on youtube kickflipjr General Discussion (Off-Topic) 44 04-18-2007 03:48 PM
Change a Light, Change the World rh77 Automotive News, Articles and Products 23 01-03-2007 10:53 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.