CRX mods - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I was able to find an HF trans for my 87 civic hatchback (1.5 CVCC) for $75. Just do a search for an 84 CRX 1.3 liter transmission on carpart.com

It increased my mileage by 4-5 mpg.

Be sure to use the felpro crush resistant head gasket if you put your CVCC engine back together. This gasket is reinforced in the center to eliminate the common CVCC D15 head gasket problem that occurs between cylinders 2 and 3.
Just keep in mind that you CAN'T use a 1G CRX transmission with a 1988-2000 D-series motor (D15Z1 included, of course). They just won't bolt up. To the best of my knowledge, the ONLY transmission that will bolt to a D15Z1 in a 1G CRX is the 1986-1989 Integra transmission. And this transmission is geared quite short. Also, this transmission is somewhat of an oddball compared to other D-series transmissions. I don't know that you can swap internal parts with other D-series transmissions to change gear ratios. AND, it requires the use of an intermediate shaft. This could be a REAL problem with a D15Z1, as the D15Z1 block has no accommodations for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmad View Post
As far as handling is concerned, I remember years ago borrowing a friend's 85 CRX and took it to Lake Tahoe from Sacramento. Coming back down the mountains there was some guy in a lowered 320i BMW who was trying to be quick through the sweeping turns on highway 88. I absolutely embrassed him in the CRX - maybe the Gen 2 handles better, but there's not much wrong with the 1st Gen.
To me, the differences are day and night. The 2G just fels MUCH more sure-footed and predictable. The 1G just feels twitchy and unstable by comparison. Unlessyou REALLY want to use a 1G HF for the ultimate in light weight, the 2G is just a better way to go. ESPECIALLY when you consider both the difficulties in engine mounting AND the carb to EFI issues.

StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:10 PM   #22
Registered Member

Stormin Matt- good point on the compatibility issue between 1st and 2nd gen civic motors/trannys.

I thought that he was considering the possibility of using his stock motor (head already off) rather than getting a VX motor.

itsjustagame- my advice on using an 84 1.3 CRX trans will only work with your stock carbed motor.

Handling - I've heard that the 1st gen CRX and 1st gen civic hatchback have the same suspension. I am not impressed at all with the handling of my 1st gen civic hatch. My 87 Integra handled much better.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
Just keep in mind that you CAN'T use a 1G CRX transmission with a 1988-2000 D-series motor (D15Z1 included, of course). They just won't bolt up. To the best of my knowledge, the ONLY transmission that will bolt to a D15Z1 in a 1G CRX is the 1986-1989 Integra transmission. And this transmission is geared quite short. Also, this transmission is somewhat of an oddball compared to other D-series transmissions. I don't know that you can swap internal parts with other D-series transmissions to change gear ratios. AND, it requires the use of an intermediate shaft. This could be a REAL problem with a D15Z1, as the D15Z1 block has no accommodations for it.
I know that none of the 2nd gen stuff is compatible or mounts together. I asked another forum and was told that internal gears do not transfer over either and are not interchangable (but who knows for sure). Are you sure that the '86-'89 Integra transmission would work with a D15Z1? That sounds odd to me because I was told that the '86-89 Integra engine/transmission were fully interchangeable with the first gen stuff, so I'd be suprised if the Integra transmission could hook to either a 1st gen or 2nd gen motor, seems it'd be one or the other. As for intermediate shaft, is it the D15Z1 that needs to accomodate this? I though that was the center shaft between the two half shafts to allow for equal length half shafts (which is what makes the Integra tranny so cool). If I found an Integra tranny or engine I would have to swap everything including axles and intermediate shaft but I think it should work well.

As for engines, I'm 'thinking' about engine swaps but I haven't found any I'd really like. I'd play with a VX swap if I found one and would put in a D16A1 (Integra) if I found one, but they really need to be $200 max because of my budget and the more I think about it I'm really looking forward to playing with the carb engine a bit (head's already off so mill the head and add Somender's, etc), could be fun for a while.

The main thing is the tranny, the auto has to go. I would think even an Integra or Si tranny would be better than the automatic because at least I can EOC then, which is what I'm mainly looking forward to in my ultra lightweight, manual steering car :-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
I was able to find an HF trans for my 87 civic hatchback (1.5 CVCC) for $75. Just do a search for an 84 CRX 1.3 liter transmission on carpart.com

It increased my mileage by 4-5 mpg.

Be sure to use the felpro crush resistant head gasket if you put your CVCC engine back together. This gasket is reinforced in the center to eliminate the common CVCC D15 head gasket problem that occurs between cylinders 2 and 3.
That's a really good thought that I didn't think of, I didn't think a site like that could have things that cheap. I just looked though and they no longer sell engines or transmissions (they have it in red in a few places on the site).

As for the felpro crush head gasket, how would I be able to verify this? His HG looks out of the package already, I haven't looked close enough to see if there's a name/badge directly on it, all I recall is that it's on the passenger seat and it's red.
itjstagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:09 AM   #24
Registered Member

itsjustagame: Hmm, after some reseach, I found that that website's name has changed to http://www.partshotlines.com

Click on the "live" parts matches to see more results. Its a network of junkyard listings that has been linked together.

I bought mine at a junkyard just outside Cincinnati. They had another one for $75 in stock about a year ago, but I don't know how far away you are located from them or if they would even still have it. Let me know if you are interested and I can try to find their phone number for you.

I also asked around on redpepperracing.com and one guy offered to sell me one for about the same price- but this was also over a year ago.

The felpro crush resistant head gasket is orange and black and has a metal reinforced core that extends from the spot between cylinders 2/3 toward the front of the gasket (on the bottom of the pic below) about a quater inch. The regular gasket just has metal surrounding the cylinder openings.

You can see the extra metal in this pic

Old 01-25-2008, 03:21 AM   #25
Registered Member

Thanks for all the help, I just tried another site but will try this too. Yeah there aren't too many junkyards near me and not sure if any have Honda parts, a parts listing site is a good idea. I really need to check out redpepperracing too, lots of people have suggested that.

I'm in Albany, NY so quite a bit from Cincinatti, but if the price is right....

Ok, last question and then I'll stop hijacking. Do you know what all is required for swapping an automatic to a standard? I found a site that covered fitting the parts in and wiring, etc but didn't fully cover the parts.

I know I need a pedal assembly (all 3 pedals are one big assembly) and clutch cable, and shifter and shift linkages and the manual transmission and a clutch and the flywheel.

BUT, will the flywheel bolt right up to the engine? Will I need a new bellhousing? Will I have to change the axles out from the donor car? Anything else you can think of?
itjstagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:50 AM   #26
Registered Member

Unlike the older American cars that had separate belhousings/transmissions- the Honda bell housing is part of the transmission (all one casting) and that will bolt up with the engine block whether its an auto or manual trans.

You can check on Autozone.com to see if they use the same axles for automatic vs. manual trans equipped cars. You will just need to select the vehicles separately (one with auto trans and then one with an 5 speed trans) and then look up the drive train parts and compare part numbers. You might double check the starter as well (since the starter bolts to the transmission) but I think the starters would be the same.

EDIT- I am talking about using the 84 CRX 1.3 HF trans on your 87 CRX 1.5 carbed engine
Old 01-25-2008, 07:19 AM   #27

101mpg, notwithstanding all your planned mods, what kind of mpgs are you seeking?

I got my 89 CRX DX at the end of last October and have had time to see what kind of mileage I can get with a miniumum of mods. Here's what I've found:

1) Winter mpgs suck. Mid-30's in just about all conditions. 33-37mpgs.
2) Warmer weather, 50-60*, back and forth to work low 40's. 40-44mpgs. 65mph on the highway gets 46mpg. Extreme care netted two 120 mile trips at 52mpgs.
3) Mods are the delete muffler, ensure front underside standard covers are properly fitted, grill block, 13" tires (low to ground) 38-40psi tires (165-70r13), home made vortex generators (for what that's worth).

For power it isn't going to win any drag races, but as for the handling I can't complain. I look at my truck as a big blunt object in traffic...413ci engine & 6200 lbs. People make way. The '98 Z28 is a real stiletto in traffic. If I see a spot I want...I'm in it. I see the CRX in traffic more as a little kid running through the legs of grownups. It's all over the place and into very tight spots very quickly.

Best of all, though, is that I can take entrance ramps at a higher speed than I can get in my Z28! Places I can only manage 30-35mph in the Camaro I can take at 35-40mph in the CRX on aired-up tires.

I don't plan on anything so drastic as engine or tranny swaps, but I'll be doing wheelwell skirts and trying to slick up the underside this spring. Perhaps I can get to 60mpg this summer.
Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjstagame View Post
Are you sure that the '86-'89 Integra transmission would work with a D15Z1? That sounds odd to me because I was told that the '86-89 Integra engine/transmission were fully interchangeable with the first gen stuff, so I'd be suprised if the Integra transmission could hook to either a 1st gen or 2nd gen motor, seems it'd be one or the other. As for intermediate shaft, is it the D15Z1 that needs to accomodate this? I though that was the center shaft between the two half shafts to allow for equal length half shafts (which is what makes the Integra tranny so cool). If I found an Integra tranny or engine I would have to swap everything including axles and intermediate shaft but I think it should work well.
The 1G Integra transmission is compatible with the 1G CRX BODY. But it is NOT compatible with the 1G CRX ENGINE. The D16A1 transmission bellhousing actually WILL bolt to the D15Z1 (or other 1988-2000 D-series engine), although I believe you cannot use one of the bolts. And on the driver's side, I cannot recall what you have to use the mount from. But you basically bolt it to the holes on the block where the power steering pump would go.

As for the intermediate shaft, this typically bolts to the back side of the block close to the alternator. So there have to be three bolt holes there to accommodate it. The D16A6 has these holes, but the D16Z6 is only roughed in for these holes (which could be drilled and/or tapped). I'm not sure about the D15Z1, and I would have to take a look at mine.
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:22 AM   #29

My plan is to use a 6-speed transmission from a Civic Wagovan 4WD, have it regeared, with final gear from an HF. I'm planning on using an '88-91 CRX, likely not an HF as I like the swaybar stuff, etc. Planning on turning it into a VRX with a VTEC-E (D15Z1) engine from a VX 92 or later. I've been told you can swap the Wagovan 4WD tranny in and block off the rear, just using the FWD.

Regearing the 6-speed tranny with 6th (it's 1/2 gear, 1-5, so 5th becomes 6th) as .55, 5th (former 4th) as 5th gear from an HF.

Hoping for MPG in excess of 75 or 80 on flat highway trips, somewhat less than that in town, hopefully in the 40s.