Isopropyl Alcohol - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-01-2008, 06:16 AM   #31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Any oil added to the tank will eventually go to the cat... One thing I heard often years ago, but I don't see mentioned here is adding a couple of ounces of ATF to your fuel. I used to do it all the time on my old 74 Chevy truck because I could not get leaded fuel anymore to lubricate the valves.
That red oily looking "fuel injector cleaner" is probably pretty close to ATF, ATF is chock full of detergent type stuff usually.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:18 AM   #32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedhatch View Post
Are you the guys that are putting water in there too?
I'll try water when I find a good and cheap emulsifier

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
Old 07-01-2008, 06:20 AM   #33
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
That red oily looking "fuel injector cleaner" is probably pretty close to ATF, ATF is chock full of detergent type stuff usually.
I've heard that "Marvel Mystery Oil" is nothing but ATF in a fancy package.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #34
Registered Member

Well in the interest of research I just added 3.4 oz of 91% isopropyl alcohol and 0.7 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil to a 17.8 gallon tank of gas unleaded.

Since I am super anal about stats of my last 7 or 8 tankfuls, if there is even a 5% improvement I will know and report it here.

I drive back and forth to work the same way everyday with little change.

Just a small request from some of you veterans of this website, as you will read in the message above, no abbreviations, no shorthand, etc.
MMoil means nothing to folks you are new here, take the extra 5 seconds required to be clear and everyone will appreciate it.
Thanks in advance!

P.S. ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid
Old 07-02-2008, 03:39 AM   #35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeventura View Post
Well in the interest of research I just added 3.4 oz of 91% isopropyl alcohol and 0.7 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil to a 17.8 gallon tank of gas unleaded.
Best to use at least 2 oz MMoil to each 10 gallons? Might save your fuel pump?

I'm testing 2.5 oz 91% iso and 2 oz MMoil per 10 G in a fuel injected engine.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:17 AM   #36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugyNA View Post

Sorry are you asking a question or making a statement? (question mark at the end of your sentence)

If you are making a statement what is the statement based on?

Frankly I don't expect any change in Fuel Economy (FE) or perceivable power but I had the Alcohol and Marvel Mystery Oil laying around so what the heck.

At the end of this tankful I will know whether it made the slightest bit of difference.

If it does I will bottle it and sell it!!
Old 07-02-2008, 05:37 AM   #37
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugyNA View Post

I don't think you'd be able to collect enough data outside of a laboratory on whether or not adding MMO to the tank saves the fuel pump. They already seem to last quite a long time. In my experience over the years I usually get between 120,000 and 150,000 miles on a fuel pump anyway. The Beast just got a new fuel pump a few months ago at 150,500 miles. I forget the mileage, but my Buick was almost 20 years old when the fuel pump gave out. Rusty got a fuel pump at about 130,000 miles. My conclusion is that fuel pumps last a long time, or at least on GM cars they do.

-Jay

Old 07-02-2008, 06:04 AM   #38
Registered Member

Marvin needed one at about 240,000KM.... he's got 70,000 km on it now, and during that time has drank a bottle of isopropyl approx every 6 weeks for emissions and fuel system cleaning, has had periods of a couple of bottles a week when I've been testing the effect on mileage, only recently started screwing with putting lubes in the tank. I don't think any alcohols are going to seriously affect the lubricity designed into the fuel, until you start putting 20% or so of your own brew in there.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:37 AM   #39
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Marvin needed one at about 240,000KM.... he's got 70,000 km on it now, and during that time has drank a bottle of isopropyl approx every 6 weeks for emissions and fuel system cleaning, has had periods of a couple of bottles a week when I've been testing the effect on mileage, only recently started screwing with putting lubes in the tank. I don't think any alcohols are going to seriously affect the lubricity designed into the fuel, until you start putting 20% or so of your own brew in there.
Converted to miles that's just shy of 150,000 miles if my mental math is correct.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:44 AM   #40
Registered Member

Yep, a hair under 150K miles. IMO key to pump longevity is changing fuel filters on schedule (if it's sensible like 18-24mo or 30K, if longer than that do it at least every 2 years.) or as required, when your pump starts to get louder it's probably new filter time.