--- What temp to heat Gas to? --- - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #31
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 91CavGT
I'm dealing with vapor lock currently with Wagonstein and let me tell you guys, it's no fun. I've already had to push my car to a gas station twice due to vapor lock. I had fuel left in the tank on both occasionas, but I needed to put some cool fuel in the tank in order to be able to finish driving home!! I'm trying to find out a way to cool the fuel instead of heat it up.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:03 AM   #32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
I'm dealing with vapor lock currently with Wagonstein and let me tell you guys, it's no fun. I've already had to push my car to a gas station twice due to vapor lock. I had fuel left in the tank on both occasionas, but I needed to put some cool fuel in the tank in order to be able to finish driving home!! I'm trying to find out a way to cool the fuel instead of heat it up.
is it carbed ??

COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:15 AM   #33
Registered Member

One factor to keep in mind during these experiments is the 176 degree F boiling point of ethanol.
flapdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:54 AM   #34
Registered Member

I have a question...

Why not just fit a copper collar over the point where the fuel enters the fuel rail, and run a heat pipe from there to a copper block mounted on engine block (or another collar around the hose that goes from the block to the radiator)?

I don't know that much about this kind of thing, but heat pipes are becoming extremely common in electronics, and it seems like a simple, low-maintenance solution to this problem.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #35
Registered Member

Heat the fuel up and get back to us with the results, Smoke was doing something special with the whole engine maybe? heated fuel evaporates faster and better in the combustion chamber, more power less CO2.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:18 PM   #36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapdoodle View Post
One factor to keep in mind during these experiments is the 176 degree F boiling point of ethanol.
what is it under pressure ??
Old 08-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #37
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMP View Post
what is it under pressure ??
It would be higher with higher pressure. Remember Christmas tree bubble lights? Those are alcohol filled. The alcohol boils, then condenses back to a liquid to be boiled again. The pressure remains constant once they reach operating temperature.
flapdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:30 PM   #38
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapdoodle View Post
It would be higher with higher pressure. Remember Christmas tree bubble lights? Those are alcohol filled. The alcohol boils, then condenses back to a liquid to be boiled again. The pressure remains constant once they reach operating temperature.
i know its higher ,,looking for #'s vs psi ,,,like water
Old 08-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #39
Registered Member

One thing to consider;Coolant is corosive, and engine oil runs about 10 degrees hotter. If you put a remote oil filter adapter on you car (where the oil filter goes) it has an in and an out oil line.You can then use these lines to run to your fuel heater.No corrosion worries, and hotter temps. I am planning this for my truck.The out line will run to a small radiator type oil cooler,mounted in the air intake, and an inline fuel heatwer similar to the ones pictured from e-bay in earlier post.Then to the remote oil filter, and back to the engine.Gonna put a temp. switch in the intake, just before the carb, to turn the radiator fan on at 200 degrees.And an oil temp sending unit in the fuel line, just before the carb, and insulate the lines.My goal is to have the intake air and the fuel going into the carb both at 200 degrees, no more than say,... 215. Challenge I'm dealing with crrently; In cold climates, for the oil cooler to heat the intake air to 200 degrees, the oil might have to be a lot hotter than 200 degrees, and so my truck might overheat due to the radiator fan not going on.Then gonna build an isulated box with a small fan and wieghted louvers that surrounds my intake and exhaust manifold. Temp swith in there will turn fan on (which opens louvers) at 400 degrees. So, for me, its 200 degrees for gas and air, before the carb, and 400 degrees after.Below the carb, bonna have a funnel shaped double layer of fine mesh SS screen, with the sides at a 45 degree angle to the airflow.May need a low pressure turbo, to keep the expanding vapor from creating back pressure. Gonna use OMNI-Valves on the intake, to prevent catastrophic backfire, AND to increase vacuum, and gapless rings, also for enhancing vacuum.May include a steam and or exhaust gas sytem, to inject a small amount of each/either, (adjustable) into the inake stram, just before the valves.This would add additional heat to the mix, to keep it from cooling/condensing in the combustion chamber.Anyway, thats the essence of my plans so far.Jim

dutchdivco is offline   Reply With Quote