windshield airflow - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2007, 03:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

windshield airflow

some ideas i had:
A:
from what i read on the web "a-pillars" apparently create a big vortex at the side of the vehicle wich is said to be responsible for a lot of wind noice (most research seems to be aimed at wind noise reduction) but this vortex probably has a very undesirable effect on drag as well.

i'm wondering if installing vorex generators to the side of the A-pillar might succeed eleminationg this big vorex and at the same time keeping more airflow attached to the side of the vehicle?

B:
also i noticed that most modern vehicles hood curves upward leaving a recessed area for the wipers. on my car the wipers are frightfully exposed to the airflow. i'm considdering inserting a strip of about 5 cm's high in front of them at the rear hood seam, and angleing this strip at the same angle and curve as the windshield...

i realise that the transition hood/fairing should be more smooth but since this is not the case for the original hood/ windshield transition anyway there should be no aeordynamic changes in this respect.

any thoughts on this approach?

(after posting i noticed this post should go under "General Fuel Economy Discussion "....sorry)

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote