Is my transmission still OK? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Transmissions and Running Gear
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYourDay View Post
That makes me feel alot better, and its a dark green oil, whatever that means. and how does the GTP get to 110 in 3rd? I hit 110 and I got the electronic governor kicking in slowing me back down to 1500 RPM which consequently slowed me down at a rapid pace as it was going strong at 4k rpm to get me up there.
According to your profile it looks like you have a SE, which is a completely different motor to begin with (the 3.1L compared to the 3.8L in the GTP) and thus have possibly different limiters (but I do not remember what mine was set at... Hell I have owned 20 cars since that one... lol). But the main thing was my governor was removed with a PCM flash/reprogram. Car would do ~45 in first, ~95 in second and I never topped out third, but at the drag strip I would have to shift into third because it ran a 13.7 @ 101

Old 01-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #12
Registered Member

+1 on the only green fluid automotive related that I can think of is anti freeze. Try to determine where the fluid is coming from. Check around radiator/heater hoses and around the water pump. If the water pump bearing is about gone there's a chance that's where the problem is.

#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
The only green fluid I can think of is antifreeze/coolant, and your 2000 Pontiac is supposed to have orange stuff (though many replace it with green).

Trying to think what it would be too... Oil and coolant are EXTREMELY hard to mix up if you even know anything about cars. The CV's have a greenish colored "snot"/grease in them, but they should not puddle.

Old brake fluid is usually greenish, but you would normally notice a busted line as you would have a dead pedal unless it was the ABS module possibly leaking, but if it is, you will soon run out of "spare" fluid and not be able to stop.

Power steering fluid is normally clear or just dark (after being used), sometimes red as people use ATF in the system alot as well. Those are prone to leak on the Grand Prix's.

Would be interested to know what it ends up being.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #14
Registered Member

Better gas mileage

Which is better on gas? Automatic or manual speeds?
Din2rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
The only thing I worry about is there is a reverse roll lock when in drive so you don't roll backwards when stopped going up a hill and I wonder if they do the same with facing downhill and in reverse . . . if so then something has to make some noise if dropped in reverse when going forward too fast. Hopefully there is something in the tranny that prevents the reverse clutch from engauging if there is too much forward speed.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #16
Site Team / Moderator

I've never seen an automatic that locks and prevents the car from rolling backwards in drive. The reason it doesn't roll is that there is usually enough pressure in the tranny from the idling engine to prevent it from going back. I have seen some manual transmission cars that did have a feature that prevented it from rolling back on hills, I can't remember who made them though.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
<snip>I have seen some manual transmission cars that did have a feature that prevented it from rolling back on hills, I can't remember who made them though.
Studebaker (Hill-holder), Subaru (Hill-holder), 2009 Dodge Challenger. Also, per Wikipedia: "Similar systems are or were in use by Alfa Romeo, Fiat (including the new Fiat 500), BMW, Lancia, Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen, Saab, smart ("Hill Start Assist"), Subaru, Cadillac ("NoRol") and Stutz ("Noback")."

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #18
Registered Member

would be sweet if there was some aftermarket thign to add on so u dont roll on hills, nothing pisses me off more when im on a steep hill and some tard stops behind me by about a foot.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #19
Registered Member

Yeah, I think I found the cause... But this is just a GUESS. The breaking on the car has been getting harder and harder to stop. I have been lazy and not taken it in, but Im going to have to soon because I may not be able to break after a while. Im kinda worried that I hay have damaged the breaking system now because I do have ABS. Oh well, I still have warranty from when I bought it in early december.

Going GTO once I finally get a job. Stayin pontiac all the way.
NotYourDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
oye... take it in now so you don't find out the brakes decided to stop working the day little susie chases her ball out into the street in front of you.

mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote