FINALLY finished a grille block - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #11
Site Team / Moderator

I had considered putting my block on the outside, and cutting out the letters, but then I figured I would spend forever doing it because I'd want it to look perfect. I don't think there's much aero difference between a front and back grille block. When blocking from behind the void will fillup with high pressure air, and effectively make it "flush" with the rest of the body. That's why I'm not too concerned with mine.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I don't buy the "void will fill up with air" theory. It's essentially a big parachute facing forward. Even if it fills up, it's at least bound to cause unnecessary turbulence.

We'll see if this lasts long enough to get FE numbers. It will be tough to compare, though, since I don't have cold-weather FE results from the temporary radiator block (which itself is not the same as a behind grille block like you have).

Old 11-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

I don't think that a 3 foot wide pocket of air 3 inches deep is signifigantly impacting the front end aero. I think my front end aero is much better than it was stock.

-Jay

Old 11-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #14
Registered Member

First off that's nicely done, for a backyard job this would be acceptable
in terms of looks, I could tolerate being seen in that.
Now that's just me.

But I did want to add, and towing a trailer and considerable amount of weight may
have something to do with it...
But aerodynamic modifications on my D-2500 did little, if anything.

Because on my truck, most of the power from the engine goes into pulling the weight.
It just doesn't seem to make a difference, whether I'm doing 35 or 60, the engine is working to get some solid matter down the road and it seems the aerodynamic drag is a puny annoyance at worst.
So cars definitely come out ahead here.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:18 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Depending on what type of trailer you have and what type of driving you do, I guess rolling resistance from tires and wheel bearings could be a significant loss.

So, towing a box trailer or camper on the highway, aerodynamic drag is by far the biggest loss.

If you have to do lots of stop and go towing, then weight becomes the biggest issue. When towing you can't fly around turns, and you can't avoid braking for some things that you could when not towing, though you can avoid braking for predictable stops even better with more patience from drivers behind you (or less ability to see them ).

I wonder how Pulse&Glide is affected by towing? On level land, depending on aerodynamic loss, the cycles could get much longer with all that extra ballast, and the pulse would be at maximum BSFC unless you have to downshift (or your automatic does it for you). OTOH, with large aerodynamic losses, P&G would probably become worthless.

I haven't towed my camper since before I got into hypermiling, I just haven't had the money to go anywhere.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #16
Registered Member

lol. your grill block is waaaay better than mine. I just put one up for my lancer and it is hideous.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #17
Registered Member

Post pics, I want to see.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:27 AM   #18

I used door edge guards around my wheel well skirts on the CRX to give them a more finished look...and to fill in small imperfections from the tin snips. I used a radiant heater to make them pliable and the glue stickier before I placed them. Perhaps that may assist. They come in black.
Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:31 AM   #19
Registered Member

I asked my family for a 25' roll of black door edge guard for Christmas. Good idea on heating them, I wouldn't have thought of that but I've always had trouble working with them.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:14 AM   #20
Site Team / Moderator

Why get black when you can bling it up?

-Jay