Game changer - MG4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-07-2022, 10:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

Game changer - MG4

The new MG4 arrives in the UK this month, promising good performance, handling, range, but above all, a low price. It's everything the model 3 promised to be but failed to deliver. Ironically made in China, just like the Model 3, not to mention many other prestigious cars, like polestar etc.

I've shortlisted the MG4 as my Mum's next car, hoping to test drive one in a few weeks. If I like it, I'll give the "hot hatch" version serious consideration, rumoured to arrive next year with 400+ bhp, AWD and a 0-60 time of 3.8 seconds.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/mg-motor-uk/mg4

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 12:47 PM   #2
Registered Member

Nice motor. I had seriously been considering an MG and did a lot of research. Appear great value for money.

Old 09-08-2022, 03:08 PM   #3
LDB
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
next year with 400+ bhp, AWD and a 0-60 time of 3.8 seconds.
That sounds like a new set of tires every several weeks for you.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 03:47 PM   #4
Registered Member

I saw a review of this car on Fully Charged, so nice to see an affordable electric car finally. In North America, GM reduced the pricing of the Chevy Bolt; making it the cheapest electric car. After the new incentives it should cost $20,000 Freedom Dollars!
Old 09-08-2022, 11:05 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
That sounds like a new set of tires every several weeks for you.
Yes... EVs apparently use tyres even quicker due to the immense instant torque and extra weight. Great...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2spd View Post
I saw a review of this car on Fully Charged, so nice to see an affordable electric car finally. In North America, GM reduced the pricing of the Chevy Bolt; making it the cheapest electric car. After the new incentives it should cost $20,000 Freedom Dollars!
When the model 3 was about to be manufactured, journalists over here said it would be $35000 US, they converted it and expected it to be £27000 ish. The cheapest Model 3 you can get now is almost double that. The MG4 starts at around £26000. I'm looking forward to driving one.

Old 09-10-2022, 04:46 AM   #6
LDB
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Yes... EVs apparently use tyres even quicker due to the immense instant torque and extra weight. Great...
That could turn into an opportunity for you. You could initiate the Tire of the Month club.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 02:28 AM   #7
Registered Member

This Car reminds me of Kia Sportage 2023, Looks Hot, but not that much.
danwellington0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 11:07 PM   #8
Registered Member

I like the sharp angular front end, the side profile is a little plain in my opinion, but at least it's clad in plastic to prevent stone chips on the sills, and the rear is quite interesting too, especially the floating light bar section and double spoiler on the trophy spec.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MG4 UK 2022-20.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	2818   Click image for larger version

Name:	MG4 UK 2022-22.jpg
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	2819  

Old 09-24-2022, 08:34 AM   #9
Registered Member

Our MG dealer just rang, they're expecting stock to arrive anytime next week, but my mum's going to Spain for a week, so the test drive will have to wait a bit. I'll be sure to post my thoughts and feelings here after a drive. There's around a 4 month wait when ordering, such is the way with high demand new cars these days, however there's another batch of MG 4s arriving in October, so if one matches the spec we're after, we may get lucky. Watch this space.

Old 10-02-2022, 05:10 AM   #10
Registered Member

I test drove an MG4 yesterday. I had a good half an hour drive or so. I was surprised and impressed. As expected, the power and torque are there instantly, it's no Tesla, but it still pushes you back in your seat in a satisfying manner that becomes quite addictive. I've driven other EVs in the past, but was underwhelmed somewhat, but i think 200 bhp is adequate for a car this size and weight. More would be nice of course, but as mentioned, there's a 400 bhp coming next year hopefully.

What surprised me most was the general build quality though. It's hard not to stereotype with a "made in China" status, yet the car felt really solid, and there were no vibrations in the cabin at all, despite MG being somewhat of a "budget" brand. The quality and damping of all the switchgear, buttons and handles felt superb. Didn't really get a chance to test the handling as the roads were pretty straight, but the car felt well planted and surefooted, rear motor rear wheel drive with near 50/50 weight distribution is a good formula for those who enjoy driving, so for someone like me, I'd actually happily take the MG4 out just for a drive. The car is so easy to drive, you just get in and press the brake, select D, and off you go. No key to turn, no button to start, no handbrake to remove. Get in and go. This would make an ideal daily driver due to the ease of everything. The 360 cameras make parking or tight manoeuvres easy, you can even select which camera to make larger on the screen, there's 4 to choose from.

My Mum really wants one, and personally I'd happily have one too, although giving up my Porsche for one would be tough. Go try one, it has to be one of the best EVs on the market, and you won't get better value either. Apologies for the poor pictures, you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0622.jpg
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	2823   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0621.jpg
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	2824