Peugeot and/or Citroen returning to America - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Automotive News, Articles and Products
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2017, 04:28 AM   #11
LDB
Registered Member

French-Bred DS7 Crossback May Seek Slice of U.S. Market | News | Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Pretty cool.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:15 AM   #12
Registered Member

That's a beast. I can imagine DS being the brand most likely to be released first, as they are the most premium, and least well known, so your older generation who generally speaking, have stereotypical tendencies and opinions from 30-40 years ago will not be too concerned.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:11 PM   #13
Registered Member

I'd be all about seeing some French iron rolling here again! It would be very refreshing to get some more options here. Citroen and Peugeot especially, Renault isn't quite intriguing me as much. For the same reasons, I wouldn't mind some more of the lesser known Japanese goods as well, it would be neat to see Suzuki again, maybe some Daihatsu too.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:01 PM   #14
Registered Member

Diahatsu are wholly owned by Toyota now, and a range of small cars developed jointly, will be sold in the US, but as Toyotas.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:11 PM   #15
Registered Member

I miss Daihatsu, we lost them just after the recession when the currency went pear shaped. Had a few of them, all with punchy characterful 3 cylinder engines. Starting to like Suzuki again, thier new quirky designs like the new Ignis, and thier clever lightweight 4WD systems that are so light and cheap, they can fit them to city cars. Same with thier mild hybrids. I'd love an ignis hybrid 4x4 for exploring some of the mountain roads here.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
Diahatsu are wholly owned by Toyota now, and a range of small cars developed jointly, will be sold in the US, but as Toyotas.
Huh. I vaguely knew they were associated but didn't know Toyota owned the brand...
Old 09-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
I miss Daihatsu, we lost them just after the recession when the currency went pear shaped. Had a few of them, all with punchy characterful 3 cylinder engines. Starting to like Suzuki again, thier new quirky designs like the new Ignis, and thier clever lightweight 4WD systems that are so light and cheap, they can fit them to city cars. Same with thier mild hybrids. I'd love an ignis hybrid 4x4 for exploring some of the mountain roads here.
I remember when Suzuki quit, they had a sedan called the Kizashi which was quietly raking up some good press. Before that I kind of remember the Aerio and SX4 being sort of fondly looked upon as quirky and plucky little cars, kind of reminded me of the way people felt about Saabs back in the day.

I don't think Daihatsu ever managed to bring their good stuff here. I remember the Charade was kind of common where I grew up when I was a kid, though.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:54 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
I miss Daihatsu, we lost them just after the recession when the currency went pear shaped.
Seemingly it wasn't our currency going pear shaped after the recession. It was the Yen that was the problem, making the cars too expensive to compete in the European (and indeed world) market.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:25 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
Seemingly it wasn't our currency going pear shaped after the recession. It was the Yen that was the problem, making the cars too expensive to compete in the European (and indeed world) market.
Yes I meant thier currency. My Mum still has a Sirion, tiny car but there's almost a foot of legroom in the rear, it's quite ridiculous. I also rolled one in Scotland and it saved my life, quite a safe little car. The trouble is, as far as I know, all Daihatsus are manufactured in Japan, so once you factored in shipping costs, they become way too expensive, especially considering the majority of thier cars are small.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:13 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcp385 View Post
I remember when Suzuki quit, they had a sedan called the Kizashi which was quietly raking up some good press.
My local dealer sold a few of those, quite cool looking, if you like 90's looking sedans. Didn't really sell that we'll here as it had a huge 2.4 litre engine and no turbo, so was thirsty and slow and had high Road tax costs.