Plastic grocery bags -> fuel - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Automotive News, Articles and Products
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2014, 06:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Lightbulb Plastic grocery bags -> fuel

http://phys.org/news/2014-02-plastic...esel-fuel.html

Just another potential source of fuel that will be ignored, but interesting to read nonetheless.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #2
Registered Member

Interesting. In my country, we are charged 5 pence for every bag at the store. It's reduced waste by a huge amount, people keep the same bags and use them over and over again. But converting them into fuel is a better way of recycling them I guess!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:28 AM   #3
Registered Member

No mention of the cost of conversion. They did mention the number of discarded bags, but didn't mention the expense of gathering them for recycling. Personally, I think an easier solution would be to run the combustible wastes through a shredder, then mix it at low percentage with the coal being burned in electric generating plants. Count on the pollution traps in the coal plant to clean up the exhaust stream.
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #4
Registered Member

The problem with just burning it with coal is that many coal plants are grandfathered in and their pollution controls are lacking for what they burn now.

The pyrolysis method they use can also process more than plastic bags. In theory, any organic material can be converted by the process. The USDA ARS is going to be field testing a mobile pyrolysis unit that will go farm to farm to process field waste.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
Registered Member

Pyrolysis is an old process. It is the means by which coal tar is extracted from coal, leaving coke as a byproduct. In a sense distillation is a form of pyrolysis. Sometimes the vapors driven off by the heat form the desired product; sometimes the residue; sometimes both. The only thing I see new is the use of plastic bags and likely other plastics as the feedstock.
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote