Electric, it's almost time to switch - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-20-2022, 06:01 AM   #11
Registered Member

While I remain open to the EV down the road................

I am not comfortable with the current level of technology - - - I will be watching from the weeds for the next few years.

In other news, a recent 900 mile Northern California to the LA area and return calculated out to
53.1 MPG. Were we to suffer without a/c - this figure would be markedly better. (We used A/C!!)

best,

ez

ezshift5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 12:27 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezshift5 View Post
I am not comfortable with the current level of technology
There is nothing in the power train of a modern EV that has not been around for 40+ years.
If the battery capacity and charging at its current state suits your needs (tick) then a current EV is what you want. Batteries are continuing to improve both in energy density and charging rate, however, I will only be charging my EV at home so a high voltage high current charge capacity is not on my wish list. Today I did the most miles I have done in months. 15 miles! A 10-year-old Leaf would do that for me, no problem.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:56 PM   #13
Registered Member

EVs have been around for almost 200 years now, see pic from the late 1800's of an EV with charger. The technology now is more than adequate for most. The uptake will be far slower in countries with cheap fuel like the US, unless you're doing 2000 miles a week, then it's worth the expense.

Sadly the war has forced energy prices to ridiculous levels now, if you charge on some public chargers, you'll pay £1 a KW now. Let's take an extreme example, charging a Hummer EV here will cost you $230....

Fuel savings can still be had, especially as most will home charge, but the gap has tightened alot since petrol prices dropped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	electric-vehicle-woman-charging.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	2820  

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 02:34 PM   #14
Registered Member

The world wheeled land speed record was first set by EVs (earliest 6 attempts) then by steam and eventually by ICE.
Old 09-21-2022, 03:50 PM   #15
LDB
Registered Member

All said and done I don't know if EV's are any better. There's a LOT of underlying ecological "costs" involved. I might get an EV next time but I don't falsely believe it is any better or worse overall than ICE.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 10:30 PM   #16
Registered Member

I don't know why there's a "planet saving" stigma attached to EVs either, their construction causes epic environmental and ethical issues all over the world. They are destroying the planet at an alarming rate. Recent studies suggest they are only slightly better than the equivalent ice car, by a few grams of carbon, and that's after 25 years of use...and the fact that the batteries are near impossible to recycle and 95% still end up in landfill. Having said that, I like the way they drive, the instant power, I like the tech, I like the convenience of having the car pre warmed in winter and pre cooled in summer. There's still plenty to like.

I've always said, those who really care about the planet should not have children, and give up driving.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 02:55 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
I've always said, those who really care about the planet should not have children, and give up driving.
And don't eat meat. Just walk everywhere to collect your berries and shrubs. Just as stone age man did. The only thing that will save the planet now, and with it mankind, is technology.
Old 09-22-2022, 05:41 AM   #18
Registered Member

I believe that EVs are about 10-15% better for the environment than ICE cars; but this is based on all the information that I read about and tracking my own fuel usage / energy usage. I just want to say that I could be completely wrong and this could back fire on us in the long term. It might not even be that much. Globally I believe they make about 2 or 3 million cars, so every little improvement helps.

I often think about the 2.6 million Teslas that are on the road today, yes we mined a lot of precious metals to make the batteries; but we didn't have to refine and burn 910 million US Gallons per year. I'm sure that there was coal and oil burned to make electricity to charge the Teslas, but it should be significantly less.
Old 09-22-2022, 07:16 AM   #19
Registered Member

Far from being rare lithium is the 25th most abundant element in the earth's crust. Prior to making batteries, it was a waste product of many mineral extractions. Now lithium is extracted from lithium-rich brine. The total lithium content of seawater is very large and is estimated at 230 billion tonnes. Afghanistan is the Saudi Arabia of lithium.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:47 AM   #20
Registered Member

EVs are better environmentally than ICE cars. In use they emit far less carbon emissions than ICE. The amount is low enough to quickly make up for the greater carbon emissions that go into their construction, so their lifetime emissions end up much lower.

The Union of Concerned Scientists has put out a Cradle to Grave report on EVs.
https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/cle...s-cradle-grave

https://blog.ucsusa.org/dave-reichmu...s-to-electric/
The MPG numbers are the CO2 equivalent to a gasoline car for the EV fleet average on those grid regions. The 57mpg and under regions are grids with heavy coal, diesel, and fuel oil use; those make up 90% or more of the supply there.

Yeah, there is issues with where materials for EV batteries are sourced. Which is why there is major investment into reuse and recycling the batteries, while researching batteries that use less of the more problematic minerals. Tesla's batteries are designed to be recycled. The shorter range EVs are moving to LFP, which doesn't need cobalt or nickel. The EU is requiring vendors to recycle at least 25% of batteries they trade or produce.

Let's not forget the materials needed for batteries are also needed for other products, including ICE cars. The EV uses more, but we will be able to recycle the materials. Unlike petroleum fuels.

https://blog.ucsusa.org/jessica-dunn...es-recyclable/
https://www.large.net/news/8du43p1.html

The UCS has a little tool for CO2 emissions of EVs.
https://evtool.ucsusa.org/

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote