Fuelly + Facebook status? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Fuelly Web Support and Community News
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #1

Fuelly + Facebook status?

Any updates on the possibility of a Facebook app? I did have a look at the thread about how to add it as an RSS feed, but with the new Facebook layout I can't find where to add the URL in Facebook.

Tickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:05 AM   #2
pb

Because we found that all we'd likely be doing with Facebook is duplicating the same importing function that's available now, we're probably not going to invest the time to develop a full-blown Facebook application.

But I agree that it's not easy to use the existing import function so here are some instructions with screenshots from the new Facebook design that I hope will help.

1.) Find your Fuelly RSS Feed URL on your vehicle profile page. Look for the orange feed icon under your recent fuel-ups:

Right-click the icon and choose "Copy Link Location" from the menu. That will put your Fuelly Feed URL in your clipboard.

2.) Go to Facebook, log in, and click "Profile" on the top-left menu:

3.) Stay on the "Wall" tab and click the small "Settings" link here:

4.) That will open an area called "Imported Stories". Click the orange feed icon labeled "Blog/RSS":

5.) A form will appear asking for the "Public URL". Paste your Fuelly Feed URL there by right-clicking on the form and choosing "Paste".:

6.) Click "Import" and Facebook will gather a few of your most recent fuel-ups. Here's what one of my fuel-ups looked like on my Facebook Wall:

At this point Facebook will monitor the feed and automatically add any new entries to your Wall.

We could do a few extra things if we took the time to build a Facebook app like include a Fuelly logo with each fuel-up listing. But I'm not sure Fuelly users would get much more out of having a full-blown application. And since only a percentage of Fuelly users also want to display their fuel-ups on Facebook, I'm not sure it's worth the extra development time when there's a system in place for doing it now.

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:49 AM   #3

one downside to this approach is AFAIK a facebook user can only import from a single RSS source.
busbeytheelder is offline   Reply With Quote