Flourescent Lights - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #51
Supporting Member

I bought cf's at lowes. They had one broken in a pack of 4 and it was marked down from $7.50 to $2. I found another pack with one broken out of 6 usually marked $7.48 and went to the customer service desk, they marked that one down too. One pack had warnings about mercury, but the other didn't. I don't know if all of them contain it. Seems like they'd have to carry a warning. Anyway, 8 CFLs for 4 dollars didn't seem too bad.

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:55 AM   #52
Registered Member

Want to make a new observation on the floodlight style CFL cannister lights. Had one go out today, made a bad electrical burn smell when it went. When I removed it, it was far hotter than it should have been. Replaced it with a regular coily-type CFL, along with another burned out one since that's what I have, and the coily-type CFLs are working far better than the floodlight-type CFLs do. I'm sure I'll miss the slow lightup time of the floods this winter when I have to pad into the kitchen at 0-dark-30, but I think it'll be safer having lightbulbs with exposed elements up there. Not to mention those 2 bulbs by themselves do a better job of lighting the kitchen than the 6 floods did. I'm going to pull the other 4 floods out and put back 1 coiler, and just run the 3 bulbs.

Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:02 AM   #53
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Anyone taken the plunge and replaced all their incandescents with flourescents? Seems like a why the hell not kinda situation to me, ;-)
Yep, about 1985. Lots better selection now though and I have replaced some of my older gear.

Best thing for large fixtures is to install electronic ballasts, give you flicker free light thats almost instant on.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:39 PM   #54
Registered Member

yea, ive got ALL fluorescent lights in my house. Ive even got those shop fluorescents in my room! My parents even had fluorescents when they were first available. We have one of those rectangle shaped bulbs that hooks back to the fixture (before spirals came out) that prob from the 1990s and a few desk lamps with the tube fluorescents from the 1980s has never been replaced so far!
We used to have a satellite-ring shaped fluorescent tube that screws into a socket with metal brackets to hold up the tube. That thing was WAY loud though and we still have it somewhere but it was too loud to use.
The rest, are all spiral CFs. We've had a few burn out, but never any of the OLD ones. I dont know how much ive saved, since my parents had fluorescents all the time, but prob alot.

I think ive read somewhere that any incandescent bigger than about 30 watts??? (brake lights) is more efficient than LEDs ? (might have been an ancient calculation, when white LEDs were just invented :P) I prob, nowhere in the future replace my Spotlights anytime soon with LEDs. Too expensive for now, but im working on everything else, custom LED mods! (flashlights, car etc..)
Gearshredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:10 PM   #55
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Since this thread came back up... 6 months since my last post in this thread -- not 1 bulb had died.... They are now at an age ranging from 1.5-2 years old I'm running 10-12 independent bulbs.

The operating conditions range from open air - enclosed - enclosed as part of a fan (extra fan vibration) - in my bathroom (humidity) - and even above my stove/range. And, we've had at least two brown outs in the past month or so (lightning strikes). They are 13W Sylvania bulbs.

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #56
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Since this thread came back up... 6 months since my last post in this thread -- not 1 bulb had died.... They are now at an age ranging from 1.5-2 years old I'm running 10-12 independent bulbs.
A few years back my wife was insisting that a lamp only lasted a few months and I was thinking it was well over a year... So I started writing the install date on every bulb and its surprising how long they last. Some last just over a year, others over 5 years. The compact fluorescents do not last nearly as long as the old larger style bulbs do for me though.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #57
Registered Member

I've had a few burns outs, and destroyed a few in dimmer switches, but at a quarter each, I ain't crying. A lot anyway.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:30 AM   #58
Registered Member

We have started using some LEDs now that 120v AC LED bulbs are available for uder $30 (cheaper than CFLs were when they first came out). They are nice for certain locations where the light color and directed beam work well. Some warm white LEDs are really nice, but not as efficient. Actually, for the measured light output, CFLs may be more efficient. I need to do more measuring. I did find that the Kill-a-Watt meter actually appears to use more power than the LED bulbs that I have, so it is hard to check their power usage with it.

I have had a few CFLs burn out quickly (within a year), but also have had some last 7+ years. I have heard that a major cause of early failure is not having them tight in the socket. Incandescents can stand a poor connection, but it is damaging to the CFLs. Check them once in a while.

Mercury in CFLs: the mercury contained in CFLs is recycled when you recycle the bulb, and if your power is generated by coal burning power plants, the savings in mercury put into the air by using CFLs instead of incandescents is greater than the mercury contained in the bulb (for the life of the bulbs). Also, incandescents contain lead in the solder in the base which means that they should also be recycled properly, not just dumped in the trash.

WisJim is offline   Reply With Quote