Google Earth Help - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-20-2006, 04:02 PM   #1

Google Earth Help

How are you guys plotting distances and more importantly elevation changes in Google Earth?

I need to plot a course through my campus for us to test the bike we're building for my senior design project, and I need a plot of elevation as a function of distance.

I've downloaded the software (it's awesome) but I don't know how to use it!

I know KickflipJR has said he plotted elevation change before...

HELP!

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:30 AM   #2

Help?

Old 06-21-2006, 05:34 AM   #3
Registered Member

DaX,

While I haven't used Google Earth much (maybe 10 min max), I have seen valuable information about elevation on Topozone.com.

Hope that helps.

GasSavers_civicminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:13 AM   #4
Registered Member

If you go to the "Tools" menu and select "Measure" you can plot lines or, even better, paths. At the bottom of your screen you may want to make certain that "Roads" is checked, but this kind of depends how hi-res the photos of your area are. The city I live in is very lo-res and it's hard to make out details.

As for elevation if you look in the lower-left corner of the display you will see the compass. Look under the compass and you will see an array of numbers. These numbers change as you move the mouse. The represent mouse pointer, longitude, latitude, and the final number is elevation.

I think you basically just need to calculate your elevation changes from point to point.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:06 AM   #5
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95metro
If you go to the "Tools" menu and select "Measure" you can plot lines or, even better, paths. At the bottom of your screen you may want to make certain that "Roads" is checked, but this kind of depends how hi-res the photos of your area are. The city I live in is very lo-res and it's hard to make out details.

As for elevation if you look in the lower-left corner of the display you will see the compass. Look under the compass and you will see an array of numbers. These numbers change as you move the mouse. The represent mouse pointer, longitude, latitude, and the final number is elevation.

I think you basically just need to calculate your elevation changes from point to point.
Sounds about right. That's how I check elevations.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:44 AM   #6

Got it...thanks guys.