Power Draw from alarm clocks/Microwaves - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2007, 10:05 PM   #1
*shrug*

Power Draw from alarm clocks/Microwaves

How much does a new type alarm clock use?

Also, how about a microwave from the 70s v. a new one?

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:24 AM   #2
Registered Member

I've read alarm clocks take ~10W. I have a microwave from the early 80s w/ the digital readout/stuff that uses ~2W, while my grandfather's version, w/ more features, but basically the same thing, uses ~4W. I'm guessing it's just due to difference in chip design/availability.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
How much does a new type alarm clock use?

Also, how about a microwave from the 70s v. a new one?

I suggest that you buy a Kill-A-Watt. It will really change the way you use electric in your house. I think Kill-A-Watt can be had for anywhere from $20-30 depending on the deal at the time. Try supermediastore.com. With that said, I have a Sharp carousel that I will test this evening with my Kill-A-Watt. Assuming I remember to run the test, I'll let you know how much it uses while running and what is the draw from it while simply plugged in.
Remember that suff plugged in pulls a draw. My stereo, TV, DVD setup connected to the power strip all draw about 15W just from being plugged in the wall outlet. This is when they are all not running and turned OFF, not just in standby mode. So now I power the strip off and run 0W from my entertainment system when Im not home. It may not seem like a lot but Im sure it will add up. Looking forward to see what next bill will be like.
Anyway, hopefully I remember to check my wattage tonight.
GasSavers_StanleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
*shrug*

I own one, but being in japan at the moment, I don't have access to it.

I'm actually more concerned with in use power draw of the microwave...
Old 08-03-2007, 05:46 AM   #5
Registered Member

I look at microwaves and clocks from a 'they are what they are' perspective. It's really not practical to unplug them, so ignorance is bliss!

We've figured out however that we can now combine our two independent satellite receivers into one combined unit for two TVs by upgrading to HD format. Assuming it doesn't draw much if any more power than our current receivers, we'll be cutting that parasitic load of 40W, 24/7, in half.

Anybody with the HDTV DVR from Dish want to confirm or debunk that assumption?

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:23 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
.... It's really not practical to unplug them, so ignorance is bliss!
I see your point. But if it draws too much power then Id unplug unless the plug was in a hard to reach position like most refrigerators that are squished against the wall. However, this is where a strip comes in handy. My entertainment system when hooked to a power strip hogs about 15W (not that much compared to other single devices) when all devices are turned off. Its real easy to just shut the strip as oppossed to unplugging. Im not a great fan of unplugging as its a hassle and Im afraid may eventually wear down the stiffness of the connection. Things werent made to be constantly unplugged. Strip is good idea, although not always a practical solution. Maybe you can get toaster, microwave, kitchen radio, ect all one one strip and shutoff at night??????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
.......we can now combine our two independent satellite receivers into one combined unit for two TVs by upgrading to HD format. Assuming it doesn't draw much if any more power than our current receivers, we'll be cutting that parasitic load of 40W, 24/7, in half....
VERY good idea. Something to think about if you are already in the market for such equipment, althopugh Im a great fan of INDIVIDUAL components in case anything should ever fail. Im also curious to see results
GasSavers_StanleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
*shrug*

I don:t mind the microwave clock, but Im thinking of getting a new one for my mom for her birthday thatll use less power in run mode and such things.

Also, I have been using a windup clock here in japan and wonder if the power draw is worth using it in the us too.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:13 PM   #8
Registered Member

Another solution to the power strip switch is a GFI outlet. Assuming the first one in your string of outlets is more convenient to reach, you could shut the whole string down with just a tap of the button. That's how we shut off our entertainment center at night, as it's wired on the same circuit as the kitchen GFI.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:27 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
I don:t mind the microwave clock...
You guys talking about this made me curious about ours, so I pulled out the Kill-A-Watt. If we left the microwave plugged in for an entire year and never used it, the clock would cost us a whopping $1.57. Not exactlly low-hanging fruit.

Rick